Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Tap fuse for DVD power

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tap fuse for DVD power

I am installing an overhead DVD player in my 2003 Chevy Venture to keep the kids entertained on an upcoming road trip. I've got the install nearly completed. The last step is to connect the power wire.

I purchased a mini fuse tap and have the wire connected to it. Now the question is "Which fuse should I tap off of?" The fuse tap is only rated to 10A so it needs to be 10A or smaller. Ideally, I would like it to be powered only with the key in ACC or ON. I thought the power mirrors would be a good choice, but apparently they are always on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old April 15th, 2014, 1:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi !
The easiest and best way to connect power to the DVD, is to source it from the fuse box (found inside the van, beside the passenger door). Buy a Fuse Holder that turns one mini-fuse slot into two. It is a fast and clean way of installing and protecting additional accessories without splicing or cutting. Insert the fuse holder into the fuse slot that protects the powered Rear Vents. The Rear Vents have retained power and use a 10AMP fuse which is perfect for what you need. Insert the existing 10 AMP fuse in one slot to protect the Rear Vents and buy and insert a 10 AMP fuse in the other slot to protect the DVD . The fuse holder fits perfectly into the interior fuse box and it does not interfere in any way with the fuse box cover.
The benefit of using this particular fuse slot is that you will be getting Retained Power for the DVD device - it will only draw power when the vehicle is running, in Accessory mode or for approx 2 minutes thereafter until the doors are opened. In other words, it will draw power only as long as the radio is drawing power

Excuse me (not 1 AMP - necessary 10 AMP)

Last edited by sergeimoskva; April 16th, 2014 at 4:18 AM.