Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1988 4wd p/u

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2016, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1988 4wd p/u

This truck was running fine, then I shut it off. I went to move it and it started normally. I backed out put in in 1st forward. It moved maybe 6 ft and the front brake locked. I put it in reverse and backed a little and tried forward. Same thing. Front brake locked. I tried this several times and finally shut it off. Now it doesn't start. Not a sound except the electric fuel pump. Any ideas?
I should have said brake released when backing.

Last edited by HomerC; March 9th, 2016 at 8:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old March 13th, 2016, 9:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Blown fuse? You'll probably need a meter to find the electrical issue. Do any lights come on when you turn on the key? I don't see how the two problems are related. Get it running first, then attack the brake problem.
Old April 5th, 2016, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

brake issue ay be that the rubber line going to the caliper has degraded inside and wont let the fluid drain back to master cylinder, causing caliper to lock up. or the caliper pistons are worn and get stuck in the bore. also check to make sure brake dust and dirt aren't keeping caliper from sliding on its rails. starting problem could be the pick up coil or the ignition control module inside distributor
Old April 5th, 2016, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

GM OBD 1 Trouble Code Information

you have an OBD 1 system like me, check this site and try it and see if it helps...
Old April 5th, 2016, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

ok, thanks so much! i'll try it tomorrow and post any new results . thanks for all the help everyone. much appreciated.
Old April 5th, 2016, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Seeing as you have a 4X4, it could be the thermal actuator on the front axle. Disconnect it and see if you still have the problem, if so, remove it with a good size crescent wrench and see if it frees it up. If it does, I'd see into replacing the actuator with an electronic version.