Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1992 K1500, did I kill my transmission?

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2016, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 K1500, did I kill my transmission?

My father and I have a 1992 K1500 5.7 with a 700R4 and an aftermarket trans cooler. We had the trasmission replaced about 5 years ago with a fresh rebuild and it hasn't seen that many miles. Well, we had almost 3 feet of snow over the weekend and the truck got buried up to the frame in my parents' yard. Yesterday I went over and pulled the truck out with my blazer. I noticed when I pulled it out that there was transmission fluid everywhere and we shut it off right away. One of the cooler lines blew off, I put it back on and tightened it down. My dad tried to back it up into the turn around because it was blocking the road. It wouldn't go in reverse, so I put in 3 quarts of Dexron IV because that was all that he had. after that it moved but it was really slipping and little bit of smoke came out of the dip stick tube. It only ran for less than a minute and only went a few feet just to get out of the road. So I was wondering, did we kill the transmission or should we top off the fluid and hope for the best? Sorry, for being so wordy but I wanted to add as much info as possible.

Thanks.
Old January 26th, 2016, 11:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

I would definitely try to top of the fluid before spending the money to rebuild it again. It is worth a try. Sounds like it could be low on fluid.
Old January 26th, 2016, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

We threw 3 quarts in it since that is all we had. It is hard to check since their entire driveway is slightly slanted. I have to go to their house tonight anyway so I might see if I can get it into the garage so I can check the fluid on a level surface. If the transmission is toast the truck might get sold. It is pretty rusty and we just keep it around to haul stuff. I think it went about 2000 miles last year.

Last edited by Tajohns34; January 26th, 2016 at 12:20 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

So I topped off the fluid and drove it the other day. The trans went into gear fine and shifted okay. So I guess we didn't kill it after all.