Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1994 K2500 5 Spd...upgrade help

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2018, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 K2500 5 Spd...upgrade help

I have a '94 K2500 5 spd manual with the 5.7 350 TBI. I am about to get my baby back from the shop (hopefully "next week") where a 7 inch front suspension and 6 inch rear leaf suspension lift is getting installed. I also have a set of 38.5 super swamped boggers on black 16 inch wheels going under her. I'm 90% that it has semifloat rear axles and 95% that it has the NV3500 tranny.

Main thing I'm looking for help on is the rearend. I'm wanting to upgrade to full-float and disk brakes. I really like the way the gearing is set for shift points as is. I don't know what gearing I have as of right now. I'm going to be building this truck as a dual purpose off-road trail boss that will also pull an airstream trailer.

Was already looking to build a Big Block motor, upgrade to a NV4500 trans, upgraded transfer case, etc...

I have already found disk brake conversion kits but was wondering if there are and where I could find/purchase/have built an upgraded rearend with fullfloat axles and disk brakes. ANY advice is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks

Pre-fender cutting for fender flare installation.

Last edited by BluK2500; July 13th, 2018 at 9:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old July 13th, 2018, 10:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by BluK2500
I have a '94 K2500 5 spd manual with the 5.7 350 TBI. I am about to get my baby back from the shop (hopefully "next week") where a 7 inch front suspension and 6 inch rear leaf suspension lift is getting installed. I also have a set of 38.5 super swamped boggers on black 16 inch wheels going under her. I'm 90% that it has semifloat rear axles and 95% that it has the NV3500 tranny.

Main thing I'm looking for help on is the rearend. I'm wanting to upgrade to full-float and disk brakes. I really like the way the gearing is set for shift points as is. I don't know what gearing I have as of right now. I'm going to be building this truck as a dual purpose off-road trail boss that will also pull an airstream trailer.

Was already looking to build a Big Block motor, upgrade to a NV4500 trans, upgraded transfer case, etc...

I have already found disk brake conversion kits but was wondering if there are and where I could find/purchase/have built an upgraded rearend with fullfloat axles and disk brakes. ANY advice is HIGHLY appreciated.

Thanks

Pre-fender cutting for fender flare installation.
Well, I really cant recommend all the work that you are putting into this old pickup. Not with all that rust, high mileage, and lack of OBD II, but its your call of course.

Me? I'd upgrade to a newer Chevy pickup that has rear disk brakes if that's what you really want. I do fine with rear drums myself. Yeah, beefing up the tranny
is a good idea if you are going to pull heavy trailers.

What kind of Big block motor are you gong to put in your pickup? Might be easier to install a 350 to 383 CI small block motor, since Chevy hasn't used BB's in pickups in a long time.
Old July 14th, 2018, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck came from the factory with the 5.7L 350 Cubic inch motor. This truck has quite a bit of sentimental value and as I stated before will be a dual purpose off-road trail truck (including mud pitts) and haul a camper trailer.

I was mainly looking for information on what kind of truck I could pull a full floater rearend out of that has disk brakes or a site/shop that specializes in higher performance Chevy full float rearends.

I was planning on building a 502 big block from the bare block at a later date.

Since I just replaced/upgraded all the suspension parts, I'm tackling my next step which is the driveline starting with the rearend.
Old July 19th, 2018, 5:44 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With 8 lug axles I'm suprised you don't have a nv4500. Nv4500 has a removable bell housing. Nv3500 does not.

To find your gear ratio, first check and see if the codes are still in the glove. If not, pull the cover on the rear. The ring gear has two numbers stamped on it. Divide the big number by the small one and you've got your gear ratio.
Old July 20th, 2018, 12:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by burnhedge
With 8 lug axles I'm suprised you don't have a nv4500. Nv4500 has a removable bell housing. Nv3500 does not.

To find your gear ratio, first check and see if the codes are still in the glove. If not, pull the cover on the rear. The ring gear has two numbers stamped on it. Divide the big number by the small one and you've got your gear ratio.
Alternatively, one could use the old method of jacking up the axle, chalk the tire and driveshaft and spin it. Most likely a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio, I'd wager.