Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1998 vortex 5.0 rebuild

Old March 13th, 2019, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 vortex 5.0 rebuild

Ok so I gernaded my engine alil while back so im in the process of rebuilding it fixing the issues I had like the head gasket and a couple lifters were sticking. So what my question is I'm already this far with it torn down I would like to boost my horse and torque what would you guys recommend that I could do to it I use it for plowing and towing light cars on a full size trailer but I would really love to not have to send it out to have the computer tuned or do you guys think of just cutting the crap and put a 5.7 in then my next question is it compatible with my computer and trans

Last edited by Lloyd O Bentzoni; March 13th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old March 14th, 2019, 12:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Lloyd O Bentzoni
Ok so I gernaded my engine alil while back so im in the process of rebuilding it fixing the issues I had like the head gasket and a couple lifters were sticking. So what my question is I'm already this far with it torn down I would like to boost my horse and torque what would you guys recommend that I could do to it I use it for plowing and towing light cars on a full size trailer but I would really love to not have to send it out to have the computer tuned or do you guys think of just cutting the crap and put a 5.7 in then my next question is it compatible with my computer and trans
Should be. The 305/5.0 liter was a dog back then. I'd drop a 350 in it in a heartbeat. You will have more HP and your gas milage will be pretty much the same.
Old March 14th, 2019, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats what I was thinking I wasnt sure if I had my swaps mixed up so I wanted to make sure also one of my conserns with this 5.0 is it was a jasper build with only 40000 miles on it and I have head gasket and lifter issues so to do it right id be doing everything

Search this Thread