Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

350 tbi runs great cold, dies when warm - help

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2020, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 350 tbi runs great cold, dies when warm - help

Hello. I have a 1990 350 tbi that runs great cold. After warms up it either dies or will not restart after shut down. Checked both spark and injector spray and nothing from both. Let cool off a couple hours and starts back up and runs fine until it's hot again, then is dead until it cools off.
ICM was replaced and still happens.
Any Help?

Last edited by Joe Winsor; November 14th, 2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old November 14th, 2020, 8:42 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Winsor
Hello. I have a 1990 350 tbi that runs great cold. After warms up it either dies or will not restart after shut down. Checked both spark and injector spray and nothing from both. Let cool off a couple hours and starts back up and runs fine.
ICM was replaced and still happens.
Any Help?
Might be the EGR valve or bad coil.
Old November 14th, 2020, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might be the EGR valve or bad coil.
Thanks for the reply, but why would a bad EGR affect NO spark and NO fuel delivery? And would a bad coil make sop spark and fuel delivery when hot?
Old November 14th, 2020, 1:23 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I believe the problem lies inside the distributor. Check the reluctor, the pickup wiring and I bet the Module has lost it's heatsink film and needs new module and squeeze film. If the cap and rotor are fairly new they may be ok but is a good idea to change if unsure of age.
Old November 14th, 2020, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
I believe the problem lies inside the distributor. Check the reluctor, the pickup wiring and I bet the Module has lost it's heatsink film and needs new module and squeeze film. If the cap and rotor are fairly new they may be ok but is a good idea to change if unsure of age.
I'm thinking the distributor is junk. It has a new ICM from Autozone, but the distributor itself isn't even two years old and was a cheap Chinese make. I might just replace the whole distributor with a quality make.
Thoughts?
Old November 14th, 2020, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm thinking the distributor is junk. It has a new ICM from Autozone, but the distributor itself isn't even two years old and was a cheap Chinese make. I might just replace the whole distributor with a quality make.
Thoughts?
Asking? Is there a pickup coil in the distributor? Ignition module as stated may be getting hot without the heat sink paste being gone underneath. My last truck of that "era" was an 82. I replaced the pickup coil as the insulation was old, what a PITA that was, but it wouldn't run at all.
Old November 14th, 2020, 2:05 PM
CF Active Member

Thoughts?
The pickup coil, inside the distributor controls the signal for injector pulse, along with the reluctor. The fact that you have a no start when warm leads me to the distributor.
Old November 14th, 2020, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Agree with PNW NBS Z71, I opted for a new distributor and never had the problem again.
The following users liked this post:
PNW NBS Z71 (November 14th, 2020)
Old November 15th, 2020, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Was your problem the same as mine? What brand new distributor did you purchase?
Old November 15th, 2020, 11:29 AM
CF Active Member

IMO, get a GM or AC Delco part. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1407&jsn=1407
The following users liked this post:
kattlove71 (November 7th, 2022)

Quick Reply: 350 tbi runs great cold, dies when warm - help