Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

4.3 harmonic balancer timing marks

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2017, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.3 harmonic balancer timing marks

Hello everyone, I just signed up and this is my first post. Some brief history of my project, it is my stepsons truck. 1993 C1500 4.3 V6. After a botched cylinder head swap by others and resulting cracked heads due to intake gaskets installed backwards I've replaced the heads and am completing the assembly.
After numerous searches a lot of reading I could not find a definitive answer regarding the two timing marks on the harmonic balancer. So I dug out my piston stop tool and proceeded to investigate.
To my surprise neither mark is at TDC. Rather it lies approximately half way between the two. After setting TDC to the new mark I discovered several previously adjusted valves to need reset. I went through them all to make sure. It may be possible the balancer has slipped but in reading several online articles it seems my findings my indeed be correct.
I would appreciate your comments.
Regards

Last edited by Desert dog; May 23rd, 2017 at 8:37 PM. Reason: sp.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 8:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

It is keyed to the crank shaft. Let me understand there are two marks/lines on the balancer? Is this harmonic balancer something you got off the scrap, or?
Old May 23rd, 2017, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I believe the balancer to be original to the truck. It wasn't removed during the repair. And yes there are two timing marks both appear to from the factory. There are many references to the two marks on line but little info on actual TDC.
Old June 16th, 2017, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

An update. The balancer had indeed slipped. The outer ring had moved about 20 degrees from its original location. I dropped the oil pan, pulled the timing cover, replaced the timing chain and installed a new balancer timed to the second mark. This corresponds to the correct zero degree spec. and is confirmed by the timing chain marks. Now to sort out the fan shroud issue caused by the body lift kit.
Old February 24th, 2020, 6:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2 timing marks

We have 1988 C1500 Cheyenne 4.3 L 262.
With 2 timing marks on the HB.Set the timing to half way between the two marks. rotated the distributor to the #1 plug.tightened everything back down.checked all my connections.fired right up!! I would have never figured it out. Thank you for the post.It was a real life saver!!

Originally Posted by Desert dog
Hello everyone, I just signed up and this is my first post. Some brief history of my project, it is my stepsons truck. 1993 C1500 4.3 V6. After a botched cylinder head swap by others and resulting cracked heads due to intake gaskets installed backwards I've replaced the heads and am completing the assembly.
After numerous searches a lot of reading I could not find a definitive answer regarding the two timing marks on the harmonic balancer. So I dug out my piston stop tool and proceeded to investigate.
To my surprise neither mark is at TDC. Rather it lies approximately half way between the two. After setting TDC to the new mark I discovered several previously adjusted valves to need reset. I went through them all to make sure. It may be possible the balancer has slipped but in reading several online articles it seems my findings my indeed be correct.
I would appreciate your comments.
Regards