Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

454 Tbi Just barely running.

Search this Thread

Old November 14th, 2018, 12:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 454 Tbi Just barely running.

New to this particular forum. Need a second opinion and after much searching couldn't find a post that mirrored my symptoms.

454 tbi 220 Dually with 3 speed auto. In a 1988 Sierra. Got it one year ago, ran great. 3 months ago noticed a hesitation at first few accelerations of the day. If you dropped off the throttle and tried again it would go away. Only on the first few accelerations of the day.
Then it gradually got worse. Eventually getting to the point of happening every day and if you tried to give it more throttle when it bogs down then it sounds like the engine cuts completely out for half a second - all goes silent but then comes back and runs normal. Sometimes the silence is preceded by what sounds like a bang. Sometimes not.
it gradually got worse and worse. Never better. Always worse. Now every acceleration is like this. I can barely make it up a slight hill. You have to be ever so light and gentle with the throttle so it doesn't big down and/or cut out as I described.
A couple days ago it also began losing rpm at a steady speed on a flat level highway. It would stumble and quickly recover.
Now at highway speed it sounds like it is missing every so often at a steady cruise. Throttle is very gently pressed so as not to bog it down or cut it out. I can pull out into traffic but it's a very slow acceleration. If I hit it too much it starts cutting out for a half second And then I go super gentle on the throttle.
Checked all sensors, and tested good. One injector has a little wetness on the top near the electrical connector. One doesn't. The air filter smells strongly of gas and has a couple stains of liquid gas on it. Inside the air cleaner cover has a film of gas on the underside and smells strongly of gasoline.
Wanted to drop the exhaust to check for restriction but o2 sensor has been on there forever and exhaust is fully welded so I'll have to cut the cat off to try it without. Cat is after the muffler. Muffler sounds loud but not from the tailpipe from the muffler or maybe the cat itself. I'm wondering if maybe the cat is plugged. Otherwise Maybe a fuel pressure or volume issue with the pump or FPR.
i ran a vacuum check from the vac line for the air system and it seemed to be around 17 inches and came back up pretty fast after playing with throttle and holding throttle kept vac steady. I wish I could get the o2 sensor out to check back pressure. I used an IR temp gun. Exhaust temp steadily decreased from engine compartment (553 degrees f) to pipe before muffler (303 degrees) to pipe before cat (240 degrees) to pipe after cat (180 degrees). This was after a short trip in town of 20 mins.
Ever since I kept the engine at a higher idle for 10-15 seconds while checking vac reading it now runs like complete crap, wants to die as soon as I put it in reverse or in drive when not on the gas.
I have a fuel pressure tester. But no adapter for tbi. I was thinking of splicing into the rubber hose near the tank with a tee I have and using a brass hose mender with a couple fuel line clamps to seal it up when done. It is likely my only way to check fuel pressure and I hate to buy a pump without first checking pressure. I'm not sure if splicing in back there will work. I know it's not a good idea, but the truck is no longer driveable so I have to do something.
Anyone have any advice besides tps, ect, etc? Seems like a fuel pressure issue. However it has always started on the first crank, even if it sometimes cranks a second longer than I'd like. Never ever had trouble starting it. And until this week never had trouble running it on the highway. I've never had a plugged cat so I don't know what that would be like. I spent many years as a welder and can easily cut the cat off but don't want to if not likely to produce results.
Please someone tell me they had the exact same thing and it was -----! That would be great. Even if we could somehow eliminate something I haven't thought of.
I have a timing light and will check injector spray pattern tomorrow as well as timing. But I don't think timing in the issue. It still runs better at idle than any other time.
Ses light hasn't worked for years. And I dont have access to a pre odb2 scan tool so I have to get this without the help of codes.
i will fix this truck in the next 48 hours. I drive it 80km each way every day. Can't afford to use it as a lawn ornament.
Thoughts? I'm sure I've said something that someone will pick up on that I have missed. Questions and answers welcome.
Old November 14th, 2018, 2:13 PM
CF Beginner

Just used my timing light to check injector spray pattern. One is a fine mist. Other is like turning the tap all the way on its just spewing fuel everywhere. I'll take that apart and see what I find. Seems like the culprit.
Old November 18th, 2018, 12:33 AM
CF Beginner

So in case it helps anyone else in the future...truck had a couple problems. As I was checking injector spray pattern with my timing light I noticed the timing light wasn't lighting properly. When I moved the plug wire it was attached to, it would light. On closer inspection I could see the plug wires shorting to ground, sparking against the metal they touched. The guy who had it before me replaced the plug wires and never routed them correctly and they were touching bare metal everywhere. In addition to this, the heat from the exhaust manifold cooked the plug wires in a few places. I replaced the plug wires with a cheap set and truck is no longer missing and idles good. Still hesitates and lacks power but is now firing on all cylinders.
Clouds of exhaust smoke from all the fuel dumping down the intake at idle and severe hesitation and lack of power at any throttle above about 10%. One injector sprays a fine mist (atomizes the fuel) and one is more of a garden hose type spray. It took a day of searching but I finally found an injector. Second one is on order. I'm about to try replacing the bad injector with the new one and see if that fixes the problem. I will replace the second injector when it arrives in a few days. It was unbelievably hard to find Tbi injectors for a 1988 454. At any price they just were not to be found.
I will update when first one is replaced.