Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

5.7 Vortec timing advance very retarded, and misfiring

Old July 8th, 2017, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default 5.7 Vortec timing advance very retarded, and misfiring

My 96 K1500 with the 5.7 has been having random problems with misfiring, backfiring and low power. I've changed wires, plugs and cleaned distributor cap. None of that fixed the issues so I thought it was timing. I used my scanner to see live data and the timing spark advance is sitting at 25 degrees at idle where I thought they were supposed to be at 0 + or - 2. I pulled the distributor and noticed it was not lined up properly, so I followed a few guides and adjusted it by finding TDC then spinning it into place for cylinder 1. After all this it idled really nice, backfiring pretty much stopped, but there is still a loss of power and it sounds and feels like its missing pretty bad. Any ideas? Timing chain loose?

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: