Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

88-90 k1500- defrost on drivers side window only

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2024, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are 3 levels of vents on this truck. Defrost. Mid dash. Two vents in the center right above the radio. And one on each corner . One to the left of the steering wheel and one to the right of the glovebox. There is one floor vent right above the trans hump.
on full defrost there is zero air coming out of the floor vent. The other 4 have just a slight , weak amount of air coming from them. As you said it’s to be expected, not only due to age but design.
The sense I get is once they chit canned wing windows , little thought was given to redesigning the heat distribution system.
My wife owns 2021 Bronco Sport and the defrost in her car clears the windshield in under a minute.
The system in my 04 Grand Cherokee is also much more effective.
I’m the 3rd owner of this truck. The defrost vent in the dash is very long and the space between the slats are large enough to fit a small human.
It’s possible something fell down into the duct at some point. I see the vent cover looks like it’s held in place with 2 fasteners. Does anybody know it’s removable?
Old January 25th, 2024, 12:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Rstone
There are 3 levels of vents on this truck. Defrost. Mid dash. Two vents in the center right above the radio. And one on each corner . One to the left of the steering wheel and one to the right of the glovebox. There is one floor vent right above the trans hump.
on full defrost there is zero air coming out of the floor vent. The other 4 have just a slight , weak amount of air coming from them. As you said it’s to be expected, not only due to age but design.
The sense I get is once they chit canned wing windows , little thought was given to redesigning the heat distribution system.
My wife owns 2021 Bronco Sport and the defrost in her car clears the windshield in under a minute.
The system in my 04 Grand Cherokee is also much more effective.
I’m the 3rd owner of this truck. The defrost vent in the dash is very long and the space between the slats are large enough to fit a small human.
It’s possible something fell down into the duct at some point. I see the vent cover looks like it’s held in place with 2 fasteners. Does anybody know it’s removable?
I think I know which part you’re referring to but can you post a picture to be sure?
Old January 25th, 2024, 3:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I think I know which part you’re referring to but can you post a picture to be sure?
Im wondering if this vent cover can be removed. I could access the ducts from the top. Im also guessing that if it was removable. Someone would have said so.

Old January 26th, 2024, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by blueseasons
Im wondering if this vent cover can be removed. I could access the ducts from the top. Im also guessing that if it was removable. Someone would have said so.
If memory serves (which is dangerous at any time ) the vent grate and dash pad are one assembly and the grate can’t be removed on its own.

That said, it’s been several years since I’ve had to disassemble the dash on one of these trucks, so I could be wrong. It’s also possible a PO customized it to be removed on its own. If it looks like just a couple of screws need to come out, you have little to lose by trying.
Old January 26th, 2024, 2:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The fasteners that Im looking at look stock. Thanks for your time and interest. Much appreciated.