Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

88 Cheyenne k1500 4.3L no start no scan

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2021, 6:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have good spark so I assumed stuff in distributor like icm is ok the injectors are firing just wont start. If the ecm is bad would I have spark?
Old April 8th, 2021, 7:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 269 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy frustrating me
I tried the paperclip method but all I keep getting is 12 over and over again. My scanner is a innova 3100rs and I called the company no luck it wont read obd1.
It is normal for code 12 to be the first code when diagnostics are initiated. Each code will repeat 3 times before the next code reads out, so if you’re getting code 12 more than 3 times, whatever’s preventing it from starting is not detectable by the ECM.

I have good spark so I assumed stuff in distributor like icm is ok the injectors are firing just wont start. If the ecm is bad would I have spark?
Having spark and injector pulse indicates the ECM is good, so this may be a timing issue. Have you verified the base timing of the distributor is correct? With the #1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke, the distributor rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug tower on the cap.

Try unplugging the connector circled in your pic - that removes spark timing control from the ECM. If it starts, the ECM may be malfunctioning or it’s unable to properly control spark timing due to wiring or component issues.

Old April 9th, 2021, 7:44 AM
CF Active Member

I checked the timing and didn't see anything out of place. I tried to start it without that circled wire plugged in still no luck. I wish I could load the video of the sound the tbi plug made when I unplugged coolant temp sensor.
Old April 9th, 2021, 7:58 AM
CF Active Member

The tbi plug sounded like a stun gun sound until I unplugged it then came back once plugged in but it has since gone away and no weird sounds.
Old April 9th, 2021, 9:46 AM
CF Active Member

It tried to start somewhat when I unplugged that circled wire instead of rolling over with no kick at all with it plugged in
Old April 9th, 2021, 10:38 AM
CF Veteran

The tbi plug sounded like a stun gun sound until I unplugged it then came back once plugged in but it has since gone away and no weird sounds.
By “TBI plug” do you mean the IAC valve (pic)?

Old April 9th, 2021, 2:21 PM
CF Active Member

Yes that looks like the part.
Old April 9th, 2021, 5:28 PM
CF Veteran

Ok - the ECM utilizes coolant temp as an input for where the IAC (idle air control) valve should be positioned, so the ECM was probably just reacting to the change in temp reading - unplugging the temp sensor creates a default reading of -40*F.

To test/check the IAC operation, plug the temp sensor back in. Remove the air filter and look down into the IAC bore while a helper cycles the key on (without cranking), then off. At key off, the IAC should extend all the way out, then back off a few steps. If it doesn’t do that, consider it faulty.

I explained the IAC in detail in a post a few months ago if you want more information - https://chevroletforum.com/forum/198...urious-101819/
Old April 10th, 2021, 4:57 PM
CF Active Member

Thank you very much for that info. There was no movement on key on or off down the bore as far as I could see so i am going to consider it faulty and replace it. I can't thank you enough for the help I will report back my results
Old April 12th, 2021, 4:55 PM
CF Active Member

No luck starting after I replaced iac valve

Quick Reply: 88 Cheyenne k1500 4.3L no start no scan