Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

92 silverado stalling / no response

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2017, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 silverado stalling / no response

I have a 1992 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.7 v8. I've been having some issues with the vehicle stalling. It seems to only happen after the vehicle is warm and it only happens when I try to accelerate too quickly. I can temporarily fix it by removing the battery cables and resetting it. Over the past couple weeks I got two codes off of it. One was a rich fuel mixture and the other one was the TPS. I replace the TPS but it didn't fix it.
The truck doesn't always completely die when it stalls. Most of the time it will stay running but I will have no response when I hit the gas. I can shut the truck off and then it'll start just fine but it'll go to mess up pretty quick unless I remove the battery cables and that will buy me a little more time before it starts to act up again.
If anybody has any ideas I'd be really appreciative. Thank you
Old August 6th, 2017, 1:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked the Map sensor or Mass Airflow Sensor, if you have one?
Old August 6th, 2017, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solved

Thanks for your response haner. As it turns out, the problem was the ignition control module. It was getting too hot and shutting down. There wasn't enough heat transfer between the module and the distributor. I wanted to post the solution in case any one else has this issue. Thanks
Old August 6th, 2017, 11:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for posting the fix. ICM's seem to be a common problem and often a challenge to diagnose as they often only act up when hot. . My 93 sub at 350k is on it's 3rd one. The 1st one gave an intermittent problem for 3 months before quitting.