Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

94 C1500 Silverado stalls when put in drive/wont start

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2020, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oilcanhenry
I much prefer workin on my 63 C10 fully stock the only modern things on it are a CD player and a USB Jack. Pure simplicity the only things i would like to change is disc brakes and power steering i even like the rust it has earned it.
The same can be said about my 73 Triumph Spitfire all original (no rust on this one though) except Cd/USB.
I only use 1 gas station for all fill ups exept out of town its a shell and the 63 C10 and Spitfire both only get ethanol free gas and drained each winter when i put them into hibernation.

I have never used seafoam before but have seen YouTube videos might give it a try after winter on the Spitfire and C10 and this C1500 Silverado none of them do big miles and the C1500 dont get out on the highway much i mainly use it for hauling tools and stuff for work round town and more MPG is always good.

I got my wife to listen at the fuel tank and she heard the fuel pump activate (no guarantee that it is actually working at the correct pressure but it works).

On advice I shined a flashlight into the throttle body and watched the injectors they didn't spray just dripped that indicates low fuel pressure or the TPS sensor is not good i have ordered a fuel pressure tester and will run a pressure test as soon as I can. That will tell me a lot more I do suspect the fuel pump (not looking forward to pulling the tank to change it out though) if the pressure is good I will change out the TPS sensor and like you I feel suspicious of the EGR valve so will probably swap that out too I dont think it would hurt (only my wallet) I am going to swap out the fuel filter as well it wouldbe dumb not to.
Old February 17th, 2020, 9:01 PM
CF Beginner

I looked in Autozone (my neighbor works there) I got the same fuel pressure tester from Amazon for $10 (including his discount) less it will be here Thursday.
I use a local hardware store "Dennis company" they stock lots of handy stuff like hose/pipe/tube and sell by the foot and i always buy a foot or so more than i need but best of all they stock a huge selection of fasteners that standard and metric no UNF or Whitworth my Spitfire has the odd part that needs these i have to get them from the UK that can get a bit spendy so i buy as much as i can and parts too when i visit my family in the UK i did bring all my British Spanners and sockets with me when i moved here. My wife is very patient with me while i search breakers yards while we are there i do find it hard to pass them incase i find something good like SU carburetors and MG Triumph European spec manifolds very hard to find in the USA and now getting hard to find in Europe.
Old February 18th, 2020, 8:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ianmac
Just had a good look around and found a few things.
4 ran another code scan i got code 54 " low fuel pump voltage, fuel pump relay, EGR solenoid #2 failure, quad-driver module output failure (i dont even know what that is) mixture control solenoid voltage to high.
Fact that injectors are dripping + this code which I understand as PCM saying “voltages on circuits aren’t what I’m expecting and I’m turning off chips to prevent burning out stuff” says to me that fuel pump is probably toast or short somewhere to pump is drawing too much current.

I went down the rabbit hole of chasing a quad-driver module code when I had drivability problems believing I had some problem in circuit driving injectors and it turned out to be just that bad fuel pump. Bad/marginal fuel pressure can result in all sorts of codes as PCM is assuming the right amount of fuel is being delivered for the conditions and if engine doesn’t respond as expected PCM gets confused.

check the fuel pressure / replace fuel pump, check timing (another thing which PCM can only assume is correct) then reset and go from there. Good luck!

I’m also a points & carb guy (68 Camaro)- so easy to get to run though admittedly hard to get running optimally without a lot of tuning. & performance can’t match a fuel injected/electronic ignition modern engine.
Kind of an ignorance is bliss / simpler time sort of driving....
Old March 13th, 2020, 2:35 AM
CF Beginner

Ok I got my fuel pressure tester has to buy a adapter for my system ran a test got 6psi before the filter. Bought new pump and sender unit ( old one the gauge was off full went off the gauge and from half it dropped rapidly) installed got 14psi gauge is not reading but will sort that later I suspect it is just a bad contact. Starting up is great and no service light on the dash anymore the engine runs fine exept under load and occasionally the engine sort of stutters and sometimes feels like its missing and running on 7 with a loss of power this is not consistent but occasionally. I am thinking of replacing the ignition control module and perhaps the throttle position sensor also plugs and leads as I dont really know how long thay have been there i am gonna pull the plugs at the weekend and check them out i do have a tester for the coil/ leads/ plugs ( I have to find it first) I have not ran a code test as yet as i only got it running yesterday and today was the first time i really driven it.
My real question is how do I check the ignition control module and throttle position sensor can it be tested with a AVO meter or is it just swap it out and see what happens. I still intend to put new plugs and leads in i have ordered some they will be here next week.
Old March 13th, 2020, 10:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice it’s running better and you’re making progress.
You didn’t overtly say, did you replace the fuel filter when you replaced the pump? If not, I’d replace the fuel filter before trying to replace other things.

if you replaced fuel filter - and if you can capture data during the studder under load, I’d look to see if that’s correlated with knock counts going up.
if you can’t capture data and going to just trying replacing stuff - I’d do the plugs, wires if they are old/original first. Then I’d replace knock sensor as it’s relatively cheap and easy to do. I had some problems with a studder once on my 93 and knock sensor was culprit. When I removed it no water came from hole, it was gunked up. I’ve read (but don’t know facts) that knock sensor has to be in water jacket to work well.

you can check tps with voltmeter , I forget the resistances but should be easy to google or maybe something in here https://www.gmt400.com/threads/88-95...manuals.43575/

I've no experience checking ignition but I understand you can have module tested.
Old March 13th, 2020, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Yes i replaced the fuel filter that was the very first thing I done.
The plug wires look pretty old and i have never pulled the plugs have had the truck 18 months I will be doing that this weekend but dont think a new set will hurt and the cost is not to great.
I had not thought of the knock sensor will check out about the knock sensor testing later today.
Thanks for the info

Old March 13th, 2020, 12:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Yes i replaced the fuel filter that was the very first thing I done.
The plug wires look pretty old and i have never pulled the plugs have had the truck 18 months I will be doing that this weekend but dont think a new set will hurt and the cost is not to great.
I had not thought of the knock sensor will check out about the knock sensor testing later today.
Thanks for the info
Them plugs might be really hard to get off after so much time. I always use Neverseize on the threads when installing new plugs and dielectric grease to keep water out of the wires and distributor as well as lots of the other electrical plugs and light sockets. No water=no corrosion.
Old March 13th, 2020, 2:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Them plugs might be really hard to get off after so much time. I always use Neverseize on the threads when installing new plugs and dielectric grease to keep water out of the wires and distributor as well as lots of the other electrical plugs and light sockets. No water=no corrosion.
So true i use a copper based anti seize product called copperslip had the can for years.
I also use dialectic grease especially on outside electric connections i spent a lot of time as a merchant seaman unprotected electric connections dont last long in that environment
Old March 21st, 2020, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I first noticed a problem at the beginning of last week my truck was taking a bit longer to start than usual then began to idle a bit uneven (like it was running on 7 cylinders every now and again) but was fine underway. The plan was to take a look today (Sunday my day off work).
On Saturday I was driving and the engine sort of stumbled as I pulled away from a set of lights (it has never done this before) on my way it done this 2 more times.
I got to my destination and went to set off and it stalled when I accelerated in the parking lot.
I restarted and pulled away there was very little power at first then it picked up I decided to run for home. On the wayit stalled again and wouldn't resart.
I killed the battery trying to start it (not thinking at the time I took the batteryoff to recharge it that erased the codes on the ECU) this all happened within about 4 miles.
Today with fresh battery and a can of gas (the tank was under 1/4 full gas was just incase) I got it started straight away I let it idle for 5 minutes and as soon as I put it in drive it stalled and would not re start I gave it a whiff of starting fluid it started but died like it was starved of fuel.
I ran a scanner on it that Iborrowed and only got code 12 so I got it towed home.
Could it just be a plugged up fuel filter? or as I am thinking perhaps a vacuum leak? Or one of the sensors TPS. MAP Sensor, coolant temp / air temp sensors, EGR Valve, idle speed control? Without a code I am at a loss as to what is wrong. I have had the truck just over a year now I do get a check engine light but just assumed that it was because the cat had been bypassed the light only came on when it had been running about 15 minutes at normal temperature.
Will check the vacuum lines wnen I get home from work tomorrow.
Anybody have a better idea what could be the problem especially with the sensors etc so I can order any parts that I will need I am guessing I will need to get a fuel pressure testeras well.
it is your throttle position sensor. You have to calibrate it with a multi meter. There Is a 5 V constant, a signal wire, and your ground. Find your 5 volt constant, Then you know the other 2 wires are your ground and signal. Splice into the signal wire without cutting through it and check that you have voltage when the key is forward with the engine off. It has to read around 0.48v Closed throttle ... Once you get it close to 0.5 v closed, use your hand and open the throttle...the multi meter should read close to 5.0 volts wide open throttle. You adjust the voltage by loosening the screws that hold it to the tbi while checking the voltage with a multi meter. Once you are in range, screw it down tight being careful not to move it or you will change the calibration again. Even a cheap $5 multi meter from Harbor freight will get you back on the road again. I suggest checking the calibration on your throttle position sensor before just replacing it.. I spent a bunch of money buying a new one and after I learned how to calibrate it, I realize I didn't need a new TPS at all
The following users liked this post:
Ianmac (March 21st, 2020)
Old March 21st, 2020, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ray Crouse
it is your throttle position sensor. You have to calibrate it with a multi meter. There Is a 5 V constant, a signal wire, and your ground. Find your 5 volt constant, Then you know the other 2 wires are your ground and signal. Splice into the signal wire without cutting through it and check that you have voltage when the key is forward with the engine off. It has to read around 0.48v Closed throttle ... Once you get it close to 0.5 v closed, use your hand and open the throttle...the multi meter should read close to 5.0 volts wide open throttle. You adjust the voltage by loosening the screws that hold it to the tbi while checking the voltage with a multi meter. Once you are in range, screw it down tight being careful not to move it or you will change the calibration again. Even a cheap $5 multi meter from Harbor freight will get you back on the road again. I suggest checking the calibration on your throttle position sensor before just replacing it.. I spent a bunch of money buying a new one and after I learned how to calibrate it, I realize I didn't need a new TPS at all

I just got done doing the plugs and leads loads distributer and rotor arm all where in pretty bad shape distributer and rotor where pretty worn out. The leads looked ok 1 had a tear in the rubber near the cap otherwise not to bad plugs where pretty much shot gap way off the electrode worn on all a little carbon deposit going to give it a run out shortly after I have a cup of coffee. Getting those plugs out was no fun at all especially the rear right and around the steering shaft.
Thanks for the tip on recalibrating the Throttle Position Sensor that was going to be my next target. I will try what you said probably tomorrow morning. I am going to see how it runs now it definitely sounds better and smoother. As I had said earlier I dont really know a lot about throttle body injection especially the electric side of things. Now I just think of it as a electronic controlled carburetor and learning new stuff every time.

Quick Reply: 94 C1500 Silverado stalls when put in drive/wont start