Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

96 5.0 vortec upper intake installation

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2012, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 96 5.0 vortec upper intake installation

I have replaced the spider injection on my truck. Can not get the injector regulator to slide into upper intake, even with oil, engine prelube. Took the lower intake off of engine, all that did is make me have to replace the gaskets. I even stuck the lower intake into freezer last nite and the upper intake out in my 85 Caprice and let the sun warm it up. THAT did not work either. Does anyone know how or what the official Chevy repair manual proceedures are? Yes it was just as hard to get it separated too!
Old May 16th, 2012, 9:42 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is defiantly a pain in the butt. What I do is either lube the spider gasket with silicone or AC oil, you should not use regular oil as it makes rubber swell. Then when I put is down I gently clamp a small pair of vice grips on the spider unit, then while pulling up I use a flat blade screw driver to pry between the vice grips and intake.
Old May 19th, 2012, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the post mdtahoe! I got a new o-ring and lubed with silicon. Still having a pain. (and imma not married anymore, by the way...) Gonna rig a heavy L bracket with holes to put the vise-grips screw thru one hole and the handle of my slide hammer in the upright hole and see if that helps. I'll get back with ya... animal...
Old May 19th, 2012, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

OK! Took all my scrap to the yard last week, nothing to make a pull lever out cf thank god... I popped the spider body up out of the mount bracket. Installed the old o-ring lubed both the ring and intake with SuperLube a synthetic grease we use on copier gears. Instead of pressing down on the upper intake, I used the vise-grip method and used a screwdriver to pry the body into the intake, it slipped right in. but am not able to lock the body back into the bracket below. I hope what I can't see won't hurt me. For some reason having it clipped in the mount was preventing me from fully seating the thing in the first place... Oh by the way, this injector assy was purchased at one of the Irish stores in Spfd, MO
Old June 1st, 2012, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Update... Had a friend help me finish connecting over memorial weekend. However when connecting the fuel lines and electrical connections to the fuel regulator, he pushed the unit back DOWN into the mounting bracket on the lower intake. NOW imma back where I was before. While that is locked in the bracket, I am unable to get the regulator ALL the way back up to the top of upper intake. GEEEZZZZZZ, what is the friggin secret to making this thing go back together.......
Old November 4th, 2012, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Having the same exact problem.

I have a 99 Suburban with a 5.7 Vortec and I am having the same problem. The upper plastic air intake will not seat to the lower. I have put it on and taken it off several times and it does appear to be hitting the spider injectors plastic housing. Did you ever figure out an easy way of getting it to sit down on the lower housing. I did not that the bracket that holds the spider injector housing to the intake is loose. Thanks for any help.
Old November 5th, 2012, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default my vortec honkyfy

I used the big O ring outta the intake gasket kit, think it was orange in felpro. Then slid it into the upper before mating it to the lower/spider stuff. No gaps and no probs so far since Aug and almost 3k on it.