Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

96 5.7 vortec sluggish start

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2016, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 5.7 vortec sluggish start

I have a 96 chevy 1500 pickup with the 5.7 vortec. I have done many things in order to maintain this truck and keeping it at top running spec. I have lately been getting an occasional slow start as if it is flooded. Majority of the time it starts right up and runs great! Also, it will idle around 550 to about 650 rpms when warmed up. SOMETIMES when i put it in drive the rpms will drop to about 450-500 and run back to normal around 600 rpms. What could cause this? I have new plugs, wires, filters, coil, tps sensor, temp sensors, iac sensor... I am leaning towards a possible injector leak or the fpr is leaking? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:11 PM
CF Active Member

First, let me welcome you to the forum. My 1st thing would be fuel pressure, it should crank standing o/s the truck. Whether you know it or not, on the bottom of the fuel pump pick up, there is a sock type filter, capable of slowing fuel flow/pressure. If you replace the pump, use only OEM AC Delco. Good luck, JMHO.
David g.
Old February 5th, 2016, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

David, thank you for your response. I was worried it would be the pump although I hear it run when I cycle the key, yet there are a few times I can turn the key and do not hear the pump kick on. So would you say the pump is going bad or is the fpr an issue too? Thanks again
Old February 26th, 2016, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default sluggish performance

I recently had my 98 fuel pump replaced. My symptoms were sluggish performance and it had been for years but didn't realize it. Another symptom I experienced was I would get a check engine light when pulling a trailer or extensive load on hills. I had the injectors cleaned with little improvement. Finally the truck stopped at an intersection and would not start. I could hear the fuel pump run when I turned the key but it didn't seem as loud as it used to. After a fuel pump pressure test it was found the pressure was low. I had the pump replaced and it runs great now. Good luck