Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

'98 K1500 4x4, Stumbles/Dies.

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2020, 6:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 266 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by CJG_GTX
At every touch of the pedal, it jumps to 60, then back to 50-52. Once hitting as low as 48.
Got it. Fuel pressure is regulated by engine vacuum, and those numbers with the engine running are consistent with what to expect depending on pedal position.

What’s it doing at key on, engine off?
Old July 6th, 2020, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
Got it. Fuel pressure is regulated by engine vacuum, and those numbers with the engine running are consistent with what to expect depending on pedal position.

What’s it doing at key on, engine off?
Sitting at 55 psi.
Old July 6th, 2020, 6:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CJG_GTX
key on engine off, it sits around 55. Overnight it dropped to 44.
If it’s holding at 55 for at least 5 minutes, fuel pressure isn’t the problem.

Have you checked the TPS for an open? An analog meter works best but a digital will also work. Set meter to ohms and probe the TPS on pins A (gray wire) and C (dark blue), then slowly open the throttle by hand. The resistance should steadily increase (or decrease - I can’t recall which at the moment) as you actuate the throttle. If at any point the meter reads an open circuit, the TPS needs replacement.
Old July 6th, 2020, 9:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know if anyone else noticed in his video or not, but the engine seemed to move around a lot. Was that something like a misfire or a surge? Also, if you rev up the engine slowly does it not stumble?
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
I don't know if anyone else noticed in his video or not, but the engine seemed to move around a lot. Was that something like a misfire or a surge? Also, if you rev up the engine slowly does it not stumble?
I don't know on the misfire/surge. There is no cel for misfire. It doesn't matter if I slowly rev, or floor it. It will still stumble.
Old July 6th, 2020, 10:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

@CJG_GTX Interesting... I am no expert, but I figured I would bring it up, so that people who know more than me could use it possibly.
The following users liked this post:
CJG_GTX (July 6th, 2020)
Old July 7th, 2020, 7:53 AM
CF Veteran

I didn't initially try to watch the video because I don't have a facebook account and I didn't think it would let me view it - just tried and was able to watch.

The movement of the engine does indicate worn mounts - there's 1 on either side under the exhaust manifolds and the mount at the rear of the transmission - torn bushings are definite need for replacement - if you can use a pry bar and get more than about 1/4" movement out of them, they should be replaced.

The stumble itself does indicate possible air or fuel starvation, but it also indicates possible timing issues. When you replaced the cam sensor, did you pull the distributor? If so, verify the timing is correct - for some reason these distributors are tricky to install. Multiple times at work I've been certain it's installed correctly, yet it's still somehow off by 1 tooth. If the flat on the distributor cap is not parallel to the intake manifold, the distributor is off by a tooth - minor adjustment can be achieved, but it only has an acceptable adjustment range of 4* total (-2 to +2 @ +/- 1,000 RPM - must be read using a scan tool) so the distributor cap should not be offset by much when compared to the manifold.

Try unplugging the EGR valve to see if that eliminates or reduces the severity of the stumble.

It looks like you've got a 5.7L - is that right?
Old July 7th, 2020, 8:59 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
I didn't initially try to watch the video because I don't have a facebook account and I didn't think it would let me view it - just tried and was able to watch.

The movement of the engine does indicate worn mounts - there's 1 on either side under the exhaust manifolds and the mount at the rear of the transmission - torn bushings are definite need for replacement - if you can use a pry bar and get more than about 1/4" movement out of them, they should be replaced.

The stumble itself does indicate possible air or fuel starvation, but it also indicates possible timing issues. When you replaced the cam sensor, did you pull the distributor? If so, verify the timing is correct - for some reason these distributors are tricky to install. Multiple times at work I've been certain it's installed correctly, yet it's still somehow off by 1 tooth. If the flat on the distributor cap is not parallel to the intake manifold, the distributor is off by a tooth - minor adjustment can be achieved, but it only has an acceptable adjustment range of 4* total (-2 to +2 @ +/- 1,000 RPM - must be read using a scan tool) so the distributor cap should not be offset by much when compared to the manifold.

Try unplugging the EGR valve to see if that eliminates or reduces the severity of the stumble.

It looks like you've got a 5.7L - is that right?
I replaced the distributor cap, Rotor and cam sensor. It was while I was trying to fix the issue I'm having. I will have to check the cap.

Yes, It is the 5.7l.

Last edited by CJG_GTX; July 7th, 2020 at 9:03 AM.