Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Amperage Tick when turn signal is on

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2016, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amperage Tick when turn signal is on

Hello All;

Just signed up; member of one of those other GM/Chevy Forums not much over there, hoping to give this one a try.. I have a 1998 K1500 Z71 package, recently just changed Ground wires; power wire from battery to altenator as it was broke; replaced the Alt with Remmy Gold 105 amp alt. Idler pully; tensioner and belt. Full tune up.

that fixed my storbing issue i was having but I have one weird power issue the gauge in the dash shows a drop in amp when ever the flashers blink.. kinda weird I've never seen that. Sits a little above 14 on the gauge and drops to 14 its very noticeable.

I've never seen a truck do this hoping to find out if this is normal or not for these trucks; I'm planning on putting a Ham radio in the truck with an amp so i need to make sure the power system is working properly.
Old December 12th, 2016, 5:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You might look at the bulb socket
Old December 13th, 2016, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Everything seems ok; all are working there is a drop when turning lights on though I know that's kinda normal; my dodge didnt even do that though.. I'm just wondering if there is still something going on in the system.

The only other thing that i found odd; is the low gauge wire that runs from the battery to the fuse box; seems very undersized to be so far away?

Thanks for the reply in advance.
Old December 13th, 2016, 3:23 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Jonathan Ellender
Everything seems ok; all are working there is a drop when turning lights on though I know that's kinda normal; my dodge didnt even do that though.. I'm just wondering if there is still something going on in the system.

The only other thing that i found odd; is the low gauge wire that runs from the battery to the fuse box; seems very undersized to be so far away?

Thanks for the reply in advance.
Actually no a dip in the lights isn't normal, unless you are running a (ex) 55 amp alternator with 50 amp stereo system. Since this is a new alternator, I'd give that as suspect. Can you take it to have it load tested?
Old December 13th, 2016, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

I did not think about testing that probably a good idea to charge the battery up too since it was not getting charging from the alt for a while. might take me a few days to get to the parts house. i dont have a way to test it except multimeter.
Old December 14th, 2016, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

I also forgot to mention; when its the e-flashers its not as bad of a drop.. found that odd; there is no drop when turning headlights on low or high beams only when it 'ticks' the flashers.
Old December 14th, 2016, 3:34 PM
CF Monarch

Flashers are cheap, replace both.
Old December 14th, 2016, 3:36 PM
CF Monarch

If you have a dvm, you can test the alternator while in the vehicle.
Old December 14th, 2016, 5:16 PM
CF Beginner

whats a DVM?

I have a Digital Multi meter and a cheap Scan tool that really only shows DCT codes.
Old December 17th, 2016, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Had alt and battery checked last night both good.