Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2017, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Ideas?

Hi all, I drive a 1994 K1500 with 5.7L V8. The rear drivers side cylinder has been burning oil for quite some time and haven't been in a situation to fix the root of the problem.

As the cylinder burns oil, I would just change the spark plug and it would fire just fine for anywhere from one month to three or four. Once it started misfiring again, I'd replace the spark plug and was all set for another 30 to 120 days.

Now, the last time I replaced the spark plug it didn't take like it did in the past. The chamber never fired and I've been gingerly driving it around on seven cylinders for about a week. I've replaced that spark plug a few times and it failed each time, and after I pulled a new one out of the engine, each one was covered in more oil that it used to. To me, it seems like the plug isn't firing because it is too covered in oil. I'm trying to figure out what has caused this sudden increase in oil leakage and if that is indeed causing the misfire.

- I've noticed the truck is burning oil like it never did before. In the past, it would puff some burnt oil after accelerating from a standstill but never after that initial puff. Now it is practically all the time and it is pretty excessive, enough to where I don't drive it.
- I changed all the spark plugs to see if somehow another cylinder was misfiring and that wasn't the problem.
- When I run it at idle and listen to it, there is a distinct intermittent spark sound that seems to correlate with the timing of the roughness of the engine.

My dad thinks if we replace the spark plug wire, that will fix it. But I really think it has more to do with the plug getting covered in oil before it can even catch a breath. I am really hoping the underlying problem isn't finally taking over because that would mean I'd have to rebuild the engine or buy a new truck. Neither of which I'm in much position to do at the time being.

Any ideas on a quick patch, or am I pretty much correct in thinking I'm out of luck?
Old October 26th, 2017, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spark plug wire it was