Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Back up light switch

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2018, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up light switch

So my reverse lights have not been working for a while. I finally decided to look in to it.

Popped the old switch out, checked
continuity while the ball bearing was pressed in, no beep. Bad switch. Plugged a new one in to the harness and pressed the ball in, with the keys in, the reverse lights come on. Take the wiring harness off, thread in the new switch, plug it back in, start the truck, put it in reverse and nothing.

My question is:
what actuates the ball bearing in the switch?
it is located on the left hand, drivers side of the transmission housing.
has anyone else had this same problem?

1995 chevy 1500, 2wd 4.3L v6
Old January 28th, 2018, 10:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesh
So my reverse lights have not been working for a while. I finally decided to look in to it.

Popped the old switch out, checked
continuity while the ball bearing was pressed in, no beep. Bad switch. Plugged a new one in to the harness and pressed the ball in, with the keys in, the reverse lights come on. Take the wiring harness off, thread in the new switch, plug it back in, start the truck, put it in reverse and nothing.

My question is:
what actuates the ball bearing in the switch?
it is located on the left hand, drivers side of the transmission housing.
has anyone else had this same problem?

1995 chevy 1500, 2wd 4.3L v6
Shift lever isn't pushing the ball in far enough. Same issue on my pickup, only my switch is good. Just wired a line to the switch and turning it on when needed. Transmission runs fine and smooth. Must of been a design issue back then.