Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Brake issues

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2016, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake issues

I just bought a 1995 1500 Z71 ext. cab short bed. 160,000 miles. For the most part it's in good condition. It needs the typical rocker/cab corners replaced and a few odds and ends. I bought the truck with known brake issues.

its been sitting for 4 years because the other owner got tired of fighting the brakes.

fitst thing I noticed was the master cylinder was bad. I replaced it. Bled the brakes and they still won't properly work. The brakes go clear to the floor and you have to pump them to get stopped.

I did bleed the master cylinder first and I've bled the brakes I don't know how many times. I just can't seem to figure out the issue. The ABS light is on. I've been thinking maybe a bad wheel sensor(s)? Bad abs module? None of the lines are leaking and I don't see any kinks in the lines.

Anyone have any advice? I can't seem to find anyone with a obd1 scanner. The shop wants 100.00 just to plug theirs in.

Old October 8th, 2016, 7:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

you may have to get the shop to perform an automated system bleed with a scan tool to get the air out. this cycles the abs pump.

did you bleed at the abs pump or just the at the calipers? Does the system have a proportion valve outside of the abs pump. If yes, a $20 tool is needed to open the valve to bleed the rear brakes.