Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Cant find a Radiator

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2021, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant find a Radiator

Hey guys I am a new member. I have a 1990 Chev CrewCab K3500 with a 350, the old box body. The radiator has a hole in it and measures 28 1/4” x 21” but all I can find is 28 1/4” x 17”. The vehicle is used exclusively in the bush off road and I am afraid to fly the smaller radiator out as I don’t think it will fit in the mounts. The other problem I have is the fan, power steering, alternator pulleys are cracked and I can’t find the two of them. They are 6 1/4”. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Hank

Old June 4th, 2021, 7:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 345 Likes on 326 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Florida. As far as the radiator goes, if you can't find one, you can use the smaller one since that is all that is available by making mounting brackets yourself. What you have might be specially maid. You can also have one custom made .The pulleys you might find at the junk yard or you can have the old one welded.
Old June 4th, 2021, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaZR2
Hey guys I am a new member. I have a 1990 Chev CrewCab K3500 with a 350, the old box body. The radiator has a hole in it and measures 28 1/4” x 21” but all I can find is 28 1/4” x 17”. The vehicle is used exclusively in the bush off road and I am afraid to fly the smaller radiator out as I don’t think it will fit in the mounts. The other problem I have is the fan, power steering, alternator pulleys are cracked and I can’t find the two of them. They are 6 1/4”. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Hank
I could be mistaken but I think there was a design change for radiators of that era that reduced the height of the core, so you may not be able to find one because they’ve been discontinued.

If there’s no radiator repair shops accessible to you, the best chances of matching a replacement (and finding your pulleys) are going to be:

1) Finding the original or current GM part# and searching the web with that. Websites like gmpartsonline.net allow you to look up parts by VIN - even if they show the part as discontinued or unavailable, the part number is usually listed. You can also try the nearest dealership parts Dept.

2) Contacting a parts supplier that specializes in cooling system components (at work, American Radiator is who we use, but I don’t know if they’re willing to ship to Alaska or not)

3) Other suppliers such as JC Whitney, LMC truck or similar. These companies at least have customer service phone numbers in order for you to verify the part you’re getting is correct.

It will be useful to have the RPO codes ready because sometimes they’ll help determine the correct replacement.

You can also try talking to any local mechanics with several years experience - that will increase the chances that they know what radiator will fit.
Old June 10th, 2021, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the replys. I bought and returned one of the new 28 1/4” X 17” radiators as I found a friend that had an Old One Ton in his yard. I pulled the radiator and it is the correct size. On the Pulley since I couldn’t find one I took a hose clamp and squeezed the crack back together and welded it. The truck is only used off road and never goes more than 15 miles and hour so it should be alright for awhile.

Thanks for the help!
Old June 10th, 2021, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 268 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by AlaskaZR2
Thanks for the replys. I bought and returned one of the new 28 1/4” X 17” radiators as I found a friend that had an Old One Ton in his yard. I pulled the radiator and it is the correct size. On the Pulley since I couldn’t find one I took a hose clamp and squeezed the crack back together and welded it. The truck is only used off road and never goes more than 15 miles and hour so it should be alright for awhile.

Thanks for the help!
While I can certainly appreciate the ingenuity of using a hose clamp to pull the crack back together and welding it (seriously that’s a great way to do it), I’d recommend getting a replacement ASAP and only running this one as long as you have to.

The pulley is bolted to the crankshaft balancer, so it’s not a question of road speed but engine speed. Welding the pulley creates a heavy spot (same as a tire) and that will wear on the balancer.
Old June 13th, 2021, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

I agree, just needed a bush fix as my employees count on it and I cant have it down during the summer. I did run a bead 180 degrees from the crack to at least try and come close a balance.😂. As I mentioned it is used strictly off road and seldom sees over 2000 rpm so I should be good in the short term. Thanks again!
Old June 16th, 2021, 3:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
While I can certainly appreciate the ingenuity of using a hose clamp to pull the crack back together and welding it (seriously that’s a great way to do it), I’d recommend getting a replacement ASAP and only running this one as long as you have to.

The pulley is bolted to the crankshaft balancer, so it’s not a question of road speed but engine speed. Welding the pulley creates a heavy spot (same as a tire) and that will wear on the balancer.
Hello, AlaskaZR2. You made a really interesting post, my man.

As an older car guy who has restored a few cars and owned three Chevy trucks over the past 49 years (I currently still own a 1994 Silverado Big Block 2500 series I bought brand new in 1994), I feel it cannot be over-emphasized what Gumby22 stated, above.

Field repairs are fine if you are in the field and not able to access new or pre-owned parts, but if you have access to all the conveniences of living and service and parts where you live, it would certainly be fun to simply save a search on eBay for those pulleys and you will be surprised how many finds you make, so many you might be able to choose which one is in the nicest condition. You will also be able to get a new pulley by using the measurements/other specs and going to a supplier of engine pulleys and have them cross reference it to a newer current part. I NEVER run something as critical as a pulley in any motor if it is cracked, even if I weld it perfectly. It is not the same and the engineering that goes into designing and manufacturing pulleys would probably surprise you. You will be very thankful you replace those pulleys. Just my two cents.

I don't know if you have Advance Auto Parts where you live, they are part of a larger national parts chain, but I got a perfect match for my truck there for a replacement radiator for a 454 with AC and OEM engine oil cooler and trans cooling and towing package on it. For a really good price.

Last edited by The Heater; June 16th, 2021 at 3:35 AM.