Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Clutch master replacement

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2019, 5:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch master replacement

Hello everyone,

I have a 1500 series 1996, V6 Vortex, 5 manual pickup truck and as I was driving, the hose from the clutch master cylinder came off, so I lost control of the clutch pedal. that never happened to me before so I put more force on the pedal and I broke the rod. So now I am on the task of replacing the clutch master cylinder and the hose. The master cylinder has a reservoir on it... Is this the place I refill the fluid? I will think I would have to bleed the system as well, is there a bleeder on the clutch master cylinder? Lastly, is there a safety feature that would prevent the new hose to get disconnected as the old one did?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Steven
Old August 20th, 2019, 2:27 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't believe you can replace the hose without pulling the transmission back to get to the slave. If that's the case just buy a pre bled master/slave combo and save the headache of getting it bled properly. Not to mention your slave is likely worn out too.
The following users liked this post:
vortec5.0 (August 21st, 2019)
Old August 21st, 2019, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Ya I choose not to go with pre bleed and I did regret it.
This is probably a good time to change out the fluid in your transmission as well.It should be a Nv3500 like mine. Drain out from the bottom with a17mm allen wrench/socket then fill at the top 17mm Allen with synchromesh. Pretty good youtube videos as well. I'm not sure about being able to replace the hose without moving trans back I wad replacing my clutch and flywheel at the same time so I had to drop my trans. I would talk with a local transmission shop they always have little tricks that can save hours and your sanity.

Last edited by vortec5.0; August 21st, 2019 at 8:41 PM.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the replies... I do not think I explained myself too well. There is a rubber hose that attaches from the clutch master to the metal house that then goes to the transmission. I am only replacing the rubber one because it seems to be prune to coming lose, that is how my problem started!

Here goes another crazy question: Is there a way to fill up those parts before I install them since I already purchased the parts?

Thank for the idea of replacing the transmission fluid, that seems like a great idea!

thanks a lot!
Old August 22nd, 2019, 3:20 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by burnhedge
I don't believe you can replace the hose without pulling the transmission back to get to the slave. If that's the case just buy a pre bled master/slave combo and save the headache of getting it bled properly. Not to mention your slave is likely worn out too.
You are correct burnhedge. My old Chevy 98 K-1500 has never had an issue with a clutch part, but that's because I put it in neutral at longer stops, not holding the clutch
down. Also I drain the brake fluid in the unit every couple of years, as there is a bleeder on the throw-out bearing slave cylinder.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 3:42 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan69s
Thank you for the replies... I do not think I explained myself too well. There is a rubber hose that attaches from the clutch master to the metal house that then goes to the transmission. I am only replacing the rubber one because it seems to be prune to coming lose, that is how my problem started!

Here goes another crazy question: Is there a way to fill up those parts before I install them since I already purchased the parts?

Thank for the idea of replacing the transmission fluid, that seems like a great idea!

thanks a lot!
I didn't know the two lines could be separated and put back together. Seems like they would have to be crimped in some way. If it's possible then I'd imagine you'll still have to bleed through the slave. If your hose came apart I'd imagine the slave side already has some air in it.
Old August 22nd, 2019, 10:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by burnhedge
I didn't know the two lines could be separated and put back together. Seems like they would have to be crimped in some way. If it's possible then I'd imagine you'll still have to bleed through the slave. If your hose came apart I'd imagine the slave side already has some air in it.
Rock auto shows one two -piece M-C line that looks like a rubber line half-way down, but its not clear enough to make out if its crimped or screwed or some push-fitting. Mine is solid braided hose, but its a 1998, so likely a different setup. If it screws together I'd put some loc-tight on it myself.