Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Does the rear differential need to be replaced or can it be rebuilt?

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2017, 3:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the rear differential need to be replaced or can it be rebuilt?

Hello everyone. We got this chevy truck about 2 years ago and its relatively high mileage around 170k. The truck has been nothing but problems, had a whole bunch of issues with the rear calipers, rear brakes and a few other things. Regardless, I am still a very happy owner. I was driving it the other day and started hearing a lot of racket and noise from the rear. We serviced the rear diff recently so we had no idea this was the case. We took apart the rear diff and we found some of the pieces all broken. We filmed it and I wanted your opinion to see if we could rebuild it or if it needed to be replaced? Has anyone had to deal with this before? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avc_...ature=youtu.be
Old October 26th, 2017, 8:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

aside from the axle shafts, nothing is reuseable....it requires all new bearings...side, pinion axle, a new differential case, new crown and pinion.
Old November 17th, 2017, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those years traction lock diff's where twitchy, many people here would say crap. I'm on third one and no I don't abuse it. Had original rebuilt by Chevy around 150,000 miles... new one would lock up slamming hard on mild accelleration with a 1990 k1500 5.7. As you can imagine it blew up driving around LA like a grandma on the freeways 13 months later (12 month warrantied work from that dealership) and then started locked up and stopped again (usually on freeway doing 80mph having my rear end suddenly stop like I hit the breaks, for 100 yards, then break loose, then stop again.. sort of exciting, glad no one hit me) Then took to different Chevy dealership. (dealerships where less expensive than the local shops and about the same price as finding used one and installing myself at that time, I'm sure it's MUCH CHEAPER today to find a used one and install yourself now...) rebuilt again ($500 cheaper?) and set a bit looser instead of tighter, (different packs instead of installation skill?) so now it only locks up if one where to stand on the gas in the rain and snow. Probably 300,000 since then and seems to be doing fine. IF it happens again (500,000 K1500) maybe park it and find a good compatible locker type of diff that bolts up. Apparently lots of options out there, none of them are cheap. Even parts at rockauto to rebuild yours (guessing on parts) I came up with $500 or more if you do it all yourself. ALSO, you said serviced recently... as in replaced fluid?