Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

EGR vs EVAP purge Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old July 18th, 2020, 7:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not following, since i don't have the vac controlled egr, I don't have the egr solenoid. Right? I thought that's what we already came through? I can only mount one of the solenoids on the bracket, egr or evap on outboard side and then the MAP sensor on the inboard side being supplied by the aft tbi output.
Old July 18th, 2020, 8:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawnmichael
I'm not following, since i don't have the vac controlled egr, I don't have the egr solenoid. Right? I thought that's what we already came through? I can only mount one of the solenoids on the bracket, egr or evap on outboard side and then the MAP sensor on the inboard side being supplied by the aft tbi output.
Originally Posted by Shawnmichael
No there is no sticker ... actually there is no hood (long story). But after doing some more research last night i was finally able to verify via an AAP picture of the EGR plug socket that i do in fact have a plug for the egr, it's just way over by the brake booster because i apparently reinstalled the harness a few inches off. I'll fix that easily.
Now I’m not following. Is there an EGR solenoid or not? Or are you not installing the EGR system?

I think you’re getting a little too hung up on details that don’t matter. If you need another bracket, add one. You can get vacuum hose/tubing in bulk and cut it to any length you want and you can re-route or extend the wiring harness as necessary, so you’re not limited to the original positions of the solenoids. The factory mounted these things to the engine to make building the truck as a whole easier but that doesn’t mean you have to do it the exact same way.

However, if you don’t need the passenger side vacuum port, put a vacuum cap on it and forget it’s there.
Old July 18th, 2020, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

I have an electrical plug for the EGR (meaning it's not vac controlled). I hear you, but I'm trying my best to obtain all factory brackets, etc. At this point I've got it figured out, electronic egr, evap solenoid connector, etc. I've got electrical connectors and harness all squared away, but that brought me to this question. Just want to make sure that I'm not overlooking something. If it's normal to cap it, no problem, I'll do that. I'm just having to rely on other folks experience to tell me that.
Old July 18th, 2020, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

I understand - you want it to look the way it’s supposed to. The problem is we need to know what emissions systems it’s supposed to have in order to determine the correct location and vac hose routing. In 1993 everything was still under OBD1, so the 2 basic levels of emissions control were the Federal level and the California level, and without the emissions code, I can’t tell you for certain what the setup should be (I can’t - someone else might be able to).

Given that the emissions sticker is no longer present, what about the RPO sticker in the glove box? One of the codes starting with N should tell us what type of emissions system the truck should have.

Also, just to clarify from earlier posts, in case we’re mixing our terms - there is the EGR valve, which is what opens and closes to allow exhaust gases into the intake; and there is the EGR solenoid, which is what controls the opening and closing of the EGR valve. Whether or not the EGR solenoid is electronically controlled, there will still be a vacuum supply. The vacuum controlled solenoid utilizes a diaphragm that opens and closes the EGR valve relative to engine vacuum. The electronically controlled solenoid is commanded open and closed by the PCM, but vacuum is still the actuating force used to physically open the EGR valve.

There is an electronically controlled, linear EGR valve, but based on what I’m finding, it was not used on the 4.3.
Old July 18th, 2020, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, i want to keep it all stock. The truck has been in my family for 27 years since new and when my father passed away in 2014 i had to fight to get it. Now i just want to rebuild it all back to stock specs.

So, im confused because there is no egr exhaust connection, it's something that I've wondered since day one. Even if i did have the vaccum controlled pancake type there was no electrical connection on the egr valve, only the solenoid whhich was vacuum connected to the egr valve. Ive got the 5 pin plug at the egr valve, which confirms that i have what i think you're referring to as the linear type.

So with the exception of the passenger forward tbi output, i think I'm good. I've got a home for every other tbi output. But ... that also begs the question you alluded to about the basic function of an egr system. How did these trucks get the exhaust gases back to the intake? There is a port in the exhaust manifolds that can be used and I've seen the metal hoses but first of all I dont think mine had them at all and even if it did how/where do they feed back to the intake? There's certainly no way to connect the hose to the egr valve. There is one plug on the intake but its literally plugged and not modified.

i appreciate you bearing with me. Last but not least, here are the stickers from the glove box.
Old July 18th, 2020, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

One more thing. Ive got the electrical plug. This is the purge solenoid.

The fact that i have it and NOT a plug for the (similar but not the same) egr solenoid tells me that i think I'm on the right track.
Old July 18th, 2020, 3:14 PM
CF Veteran

Ok, the pics you posted helped a lot. I’m still not sure if your truck is supposed to be California or federal emissions (conflicting data on Pro Demand) but there’s enough here to advise you on the correct set up. That is definitely a connector for a linear EGR valve so that’s what you should have.

I copied your photo of the intake manifold and traced the path of exhaust gases in red. The gases are pulled from a port in the head that lines up with a port in the manifold. The EGR valve mounts behind the throttle body (represented by the “U turn”) and routes the gases into the manifold. There shouldn’t be any vac hoses hooked up to a linear EGR valve as it’s PCM controlled.