Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electric radiator fan question

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2019, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric radiator fan question

Hello all, I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado K1500 4WD., 350 TBI, Auto trans, and tow package,I had wanted to change my mechanical water pump over to an electric model but after a lot of research, I have found that most, if not all, of these type pumps are for high performance racing applications and not for daily driving. So I guess I'm going to have to have to stick with just electric fan(s). My problem is that there are so many different fans on the market I don't know which will work the best. If anyone has experience with electric radiator fans and can give some advice, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 9:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 654 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by rm31859
I'm going to have to have to stick with just electric fan(s).
Why do you have to have to have electric fans?
Old December 3rd, 2019, 3:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Why do you have to have to have electric fans?
As I said in my original post, I wanted to convert my mechanical water pump to an electrical one to do away with the drag it and the fan induces on the engine. As all of the electrical ones that I found are intended for racing applications, My only option is to replace just the fan. Replacing it in itself will help reduce the drag and also help keep the truck cool at idle, especially on hot days. My truck is a daily driver with some stop and go traffic so there is some heat build up during the stops.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 8:17 AM
Super Moderator

Electric fans drag down the engine too. You're just shifting the drag (and wear) to the alternator. Dyno testing seems to show the difference isn't noticeable. Idle speed should be more than enough to move a ton of air and keep an engine cool. Is your truck overheating?
Old December 4th, 2019, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

No, my truck is not overheating and my goal is keep it that way. There have been a few summers here in NC where the heat got pretty high and the temp on the truck started to go up when I would be sitting at a stop light. As far as the alternator, I was a Firefighter for a number of years and I installed a high output alternator to handle the emergency lighting. As far as electric fans versus mechanical fans, my local chevy/gmc dealer tells me that all of the new/ newer trucks all have electric fans. This would seem to indicate that having electric cooling fans would be an advantage over a mechanical one.
Old December 4th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

The advantage is being able to control it with the pcm...which means multiple speeds, shutting it off when you don't need it for fuel efficiency, less engine load, lighter. Without pcm control...running it off a temp switch, if that is what the after market systems do; not worth the effort imo. Can you find a kit with a module to control operation?

Last edited by tech2; December 4th, 2019 at 1:01 PM.
Old December 4th, 2019, 2:44 PM
Super Moderator

A high output alternator uses more hp than a regular one. You don’t get something for nothing.
Old December 4th, 2019, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
The advantage is being able to control it with the pcm...which means multiple speeds, shutting it off when you don't need it for fuel efficiency, less engine load, lighter. Without pcm control...running it off a temp switch, if that is what the after market systems do; not worth the effort imo. Can you find a kit with a module to control operation?
That is my goal. I have to do some research to find one. That's why I have asked about electric fans on the forum.
Old December 4th, 2019, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

That depends, Yes, the more amperage the alternator makes, the more horsepower is required to turn it. All alternators are regulated, so unless there is a heavy electrical load against the alternator, a higher amperage alternator will not provide any more drag against the engine than an OEM alternator.