Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Electrical oddities

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2024, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electrical oddities

Howdy all,
I have an '89 C1500 Scottsdale (that's the model in the middle between base model and Silverado) At any rate, it has over 500K miles on it, I had the engine rebuilt around the 500K mark (don't know exact mileage as the odometer quit around 450K and I didn't get it rectified for a couple of years). 1st issue that appeared was the dash lights going OFF when I turned the headlights on. Odd. Then I noticed that the lights on the environmental panel were off, no matter if the headlights were on, or off. Then one day I was tooling along and the fan came on high. Arrived at my destination, turned the vehicle off, and the fan stayed on high! Had to disconnect the battery to turn it off. Made an appt with local garage to take a looksee. They replaced the headlight dimmer control, and that took care of the dash lights, but the heater/ac panel was still dark. Was told that panel would need to be replaced to the tune of several hundred dollars. On occasion, the alternator gauge will sit at Zero when I 1st turn the truck on, and after driving a couple of miles, it will perk up and show that it's charging. Seems there's a lot of funny things going on, one day last week the heater/AC panel lit up and the fan speed indicator was flickering and jumping all over that little screen. Anyone have some ideas to corral the ghost in this machine?