Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2015, 10:56 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

I can appreciate that folks turn to forums like this when they are looking for a solution to a problem with their truck. That's why the forum is full of threads about clunks in the drivelines, AC systems that don't work properly, engines that have ticks or knocks, frames that are rusty, and so on.

If I had read these forums before I bought my truck, I probably would not have bought at all. I'd still be driving my old reliable 89 Toyota pickup.

However, my 98 C1500 Silverado has turned out to be a good, solid vehicle, with pretty well everything working as designed. I think we need to remember that these are fundamentally good vehicles, that given decent care and use, will last a long time, and give great service.

Right now, I have a slight whine at highway speeds from the rear end, but not much else is wrong. The truck has 85,000 miles, and aside from a few minor issues which I've dealt with, looks like it will easily last another 17 years.

Those minor issues were a plugged AC drain tube, a dirty fuel filter, and foggy-looking headlights.

I just wanted to post this to provide some re-assurance that these are good trucks, despite the fact that the forums usually talk only about issues and problems that guys are having with their trucks.
Old December 16th, 2015, 9:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

X2 Cowboy. Unfortunately a lot of people join these sites only after they have had a problem wth their truck. My 11 Suburban with 74,000 miles has been bullet proof towing our boat, side by side Atvs hauling a family of 5 etc... And now my 15 Silverdado is quite, strong pulling and beautiful.