Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Grinding with no power...

Search this Thread

Old April 4th, 2016, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding with no power...

Okay... To start off, I rebuilt the tranny new years of last year (2015) due to the captured thrust bearing in the rear planetary gear. (That would have so sounded like greek before the rebuild, I had never got inside a tranny before then! LOL) Did a master rebuild kit and reconned gears, and a Autozone torque converter. All was fine until a month ago, was on the highway and it lost power, down to about 10 mph with a grinding noise that sounded like a metal plate was dragging on the torque converter. The sound was there only when the gas was applied. It had enough power to climb a tall hill to get it home and go up my somewhat steep driveway. The next day I went to move it to get it up on the ramps and it seemed fine, so I took it for a drive. Within ten minutes it was back doing the same thing, so up on the ramps it went. It was time to do some studying, everything I could find said torque converter, so I dropped the tranny. Not knowing if anything else was wrong, I did a tear down on the tranny and started inspecting everything. I wound up doing a just about total rebuild with performance parts, (just 2 or 3 parts from being a level 3!) since I want to wind up getting a camper. Got the newly rebuilt tranny back in place and everything hooked up and took it out for a another drive...... Same problem. Talk about a kick in the teeth.... So back onto the ramps, back to the World Wide Web searching for answers. Someone on another site suggested T-Case, so I dropped it out and did a tear down. Other than some very small particles on the pump screen, I cannot find anything wrong inside the T-Case. This is my daily driver and has been down a month and a half. I'm stuck at home with the wife and kids, can someone PLEASE tell me what I'm missing so I can go back to work and return to sanity???
Old April 4th, 2016, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

BTW, you happen to be looking at a pic of my truck up at the top... LOL...
Old April 7th, 2016, 5:36 AM
CF Beginner

WELL....First of all, I'd like to thank all of you that only viewed and didn't offer any suggestions as to what could be happening with my truck. Second, hers the results... In a couple other threads from several years ago, I saw two things that could have been the problem. A Vehicle Speed Sensor and a partially clogged Catalytic converter. Of course like any red blooded male I chose the Sensor first, got one and installed it, then took it out for a drive. The loud noise was still there, but it shifted great ( mainly due to the fantastic rebuild of the Tranny with PATC performance parts). UNTIL things started heating up, and the serious bogging down returned. Using my infrared digital thermometer upon returning home, I took readings of before and after the cat. (An idea that came from watching the vids on YouTube) YUP.... GOTCHA. the cat was partially to mostly clogged, the only reason it was still running was.... Wait for it..... A blown exhaust donut gasket. That was the source of the noise. How or why it sounded like a high pitched grinding is anyone's guess. the replacement gaskets will be the ones with the steel ring in the middle. After thinking about it, I had went over a particularly rough parking lot some minutes prior to it happening. I never really gave the exhaust system much thought, fumes go in, fumes go out.
Old April 7th, 2016, 1:56 PM
CF Veteran

little late I guess but with noises it makes it a lot easier to offer suggestions when you can hear it, especially through a computer. Glad you found it
Old April 7th, 2016, 4:14 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Cleveland, it'll just been a rough ride. I've always tried to investigate something before shooting a parts cannon at it, but this time I was chasing a friggin rabbit around the hutch... Expensive mistake, but I got a better truck out of the deal, so I can't truly complain too much. Thanks again, I'll be around...
Old April 7th, 2016, 10:31 PM
CF Veteran

diagnosing is almost always cheaper than trial and error especially with todays vehicles, one of the biggest perks of my career is not having to pay for labor