Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

leaking fluid

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2016, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking fluid

Good Morning. I have a '95 k1500 5.7L with 4L60E trans. I have a couple of leaks going on. I'm leaking power steering fluid from somewhere. It seems to be from the connectors. Is this a common issue? I noticed fluid all down the passenger side of the block and around my wheel well. Could this be from power steering fluid even though the pumps on the opposite side of the block? The fluids black and doesn't smells like trans fluid. I checked the oil and its fine. I also noticed I'm also leaking transmission fluid from somewhere. I just replaced the starter last week cause it was all junked up with fluid causing the bendix gear to fail. While I was under the checked the bolts to the trans pan and they were pretty loose so I tightened them as well and added Rislone Trans stop slip with leak repair. I noticed a puddle where the dip stick goes into the trans. Is there a gasket that may need to be replaced that may be bad? Any positive suggestions welcomed. Thanks in advance. I can take pictures if it helps any
Old April 10th, 2016, 10:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't think of any scenario in which power steering fluid would cover the passenger side of the block. Really any fluid can look black if it's running down a dirty engine block. Power wash the heck out of everything then take it for a short drive to get it warm, this will help you pinpoint the leak. I would be looking at the pass valve cover, maybe a pinhole in a trans line.

As far as the trans dipstick, they slide into a rubber boot that is replaceable.
Old April 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your input. I'll take it to the car wash. I used brake cleaner to clean around the starter. I'm hoping its a quick and easy fix