Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!!

Ok, I’ll try to keep this as brief as possible. I recently obtained a 1989 GMC K1500 that has been sitting in a field since 2007. Surprisingly enough it fired right up after some proper prep. The gas tank was rotted through and when it ran out of gas the farmer left it. The truck ran fine but leaked like crazy. I replaced the tank using the old pump. Started right up but was still dripping gas, turned out to be the feed line was rusted through. I ran it long enough to be able to move it but it stalled and wouldn’t restart. I replaced the pump and when i tried to start it it wasn’t getting any fuel. I proceeded to run the diagnostics and replaced the ignition control module, throttle position sensor and Ecm. I checked all grounds at the thermostat housing and the bolt on the bracket behind the A/C compressor. The fuel pump works, and can be run when either the pressure switch is bypassed or the relay is manually tripped. The injectors are not getting the signal to spray. They spray when touching a 9 volt battery on the prongs. Any ideas? I haven’t replaced the distributor yet but that’s next on my list.
Old May 8th, 2019, 9:03 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the injectors get the signal to spray through the distributor. if your fuses check out then i would replace the distributor thinking the icm but im not sure if something else like the pickup coil could cause the icm to malfunction. most part stores can test the icm
Old May 9th, 2019, 5:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did already replace the ICM too. I forgot to mention that in my thread. Is there still a chance that the distributor is bad? It does run on starting fluid.
Old May 9th, 2019, 9:24 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the way i understand it is the distributor sends the ignition signal to the ecm, the ecm will then send the signal to the injectors to pulse. things to do verify the ecm fuse/s are good and are getting power to each side, clean grounds, take the connector off the ecm clean that and retighten the connection and try