Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Hey everybody, new here. 98 Chevy k1500 intermittent electrical

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2023, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey everybody, new here. 98 Chevy k1500 intermittent electrical

I recently bought a truck off a close friend cheap due to the following problem but I’m looking for an educated opinion to help guide me in the right direction instead of my current plan of replacing the entire wiring harness which I just picked up a spare and are prepared to do. While my buddy had it, a new motor trans and interior completely redone and ran great for 6 months then starting having issues with passlock security and they were able to do a reset every time it happened. Fast forward another 6 months still having intermittent issues with passlock, another 3rd party was hooking up subs and amp and shorted the 00 gauge power wire to the amp ground wire and they believe fried the ecm. Replacing the ecm it ran great for 2 weeks and started running lean and then misfiring and showing codes all over. Mechanic told them the ecm was bad. This same thing was repeated 2 more times before they gave up and sold to me. I have an entire 97 k1500 parts truck with everything I’d need, but aside from replacing the entire harness to save tracing a short, has anyone seen anything like this or know if it’s something simple like maybe a passlock box or anti-theft module under the dash? I have 3 spare ECM’s also. Any help is appreciated . Thank you
Old February 26th, 2023, 7:18 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Welcome to Chevrolet Forum Coosy.

You really need to post this on the sub-forum for GMT-400's.
Old March 1st, 2023, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Moving to the proper section of the forum.