Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Making a console to install double DIN stereo into

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2024, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Making a console to install double DIN stereo into

In short, my original radio isn't working like it should (bad reception, only one speaker works, cassette dead, but who uses cassettes anymore?). I scored a double-DIN Android stereo on Craigslist for free, not realizing that the one in my truck has a weird proprietary size format for the radio. I'd rather not go hack-sawing into the existing radio space in the front panel, so I've decided to make a console box out of plywood for it and anchor it to the center hump. I've searched Ye Olde Google, and nobody seems to have plans or directions for a console for my style of truck, what with its bench seats and the 4-wheel shifter on the hump.

So I have two questions:
1- Does anybody know of any drawings or plans for such a thing that I might have missed? If not, I'll probably just end up taking some measurements and gin it up from scratch; I've done such things before, but I'd rather avoid extra work.
2- I will probably anchor it to the center hump with some small angle brackets, and I wonder about screwing down to the floor there. Is there anything underneath that I want to avoid drilling into? I assume it's just carpet and padding over sheet metal there, which wiil involve drilling, and I'll keep the screws as short as will do the job, but I'd like to avoid wires or hoses or anything else important that might be lurking beneath.

Thanks in advance folks, and if this doesn't turn out to be yet another DIY failure, I'll post my progress here in case any other nutjobs want to do something similar.
Remember: “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.” ― Catherine Aird

P.S. I have a 1994 K3500 7.4L with dual cab, 4-wheel drive, and bench seats.

Last edited by edvard; January 20th, 2024 at 7:02 PM.
Old January 20th, 2024, 8:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by edvard
1- Does anybody know of any drawings or plans for such a thing that I might have missed? If not, I'll probably just end up taking some measurements and gin it up from scratch; I've done such things before, but I'd rather avoid extra work.
check GMupfitter.com
1994 is pretty old, but it's worth a shot.

Originally Posted by edvard
2- I will probably anchor it to the center hump with some small angle brackets, and I wonder about screwing down to the floor there.
the transmission and who knows what else. Maybe wires, fuel lines .... I think you should check before you drill.
A safer approach might be to glue down some 4" plywood backer blocks with PL900 or something
screws in sheet metal aren't terribly strong and would probably come loose over time anyway.

The following users liked this post:
edvard (January 21st, 2024)