Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Mice in engine compartment. Where?

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2023, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mice in engine compartment. Where?

In my 97 Silverado 1500, I keep finding mouse droppings and chewed acorns. I’m of course worried they’ll chew on wiring. I have seen mice along the fence about 20’ from where I park the truck in the driveway. I think they are nesting somewhere on the truck. At the farm last Saturday, the birddog there kept sniffing all around the front end frame, etc. So I have removed the extra battery tray, windshield washer bottle, the radiator top to clean between the condenser and radiator (good maintenance anyway), opened fuse box, etc. But I can’t find a nest of mice. My friend said for cars parked outside in Arizona where he lives, they load up the engine compartment with old fashioned (naphthalene) moth *****. So I did that. I put them everywhere, in frame, in fenders, in hood openings, every where I could. Probably 30. You can really smell moth ***** from about 10’ away.
Yesterday, back at the farm, the dog was all over the front again. This morning, there was fresh droppings and more new chewed acorns in the low area between the battery and grill on the passenger side.
What the heck? Where are the mice?
Thanks!
Old January 15th, 2023, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Anyone ever found mice nest somewhere I should look? I have set up a game camera inside my engine compartment and on the ground in front of the truck. Haven’t captured any mice yet.
Old January 15th, 2023, 4:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

I have set up snap traps under the hood and check them every day for a couple weeks
Old January 23rd, 2023, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by chasrahm
Anyone ever found mice nest somewhere I should look? I have set up a game camera inside my engine compartment and on the ground in front of the truck. Haven’t captured any mice yet.
I would suspect the nest is inside one of the frame rails or the cab.

If you have tow hooks you should be able to stick a pressure washer into the front of the frame - the rear frame has holes cut into the frame that are accessible through the wheel well and about the right size for a washer nozzle.

Give each part of the frame a thorough flush at the car wash.
The following users liked this post:
chasrahm (January 24th, 2023)
Old January 24th, 2023, 7:14 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Get a Cat!!
Old January 24th, 2023, 7:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Get a Cat!!
But then the OP would have a cat, which is a whole new set of problems….
Old January 24th, 2023, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

I haven't seen any new chewed nuts inside engine compartment for about a week. My game camera on the ground under the truck never caught video of mice bailing out. I have been working on ignition tune up so I've been in there quite a bit lately. (New rotor, cap, wires - idles so much better now).
I also haven't seen any mice on the fence where I would see/hear them every once in a while.
The good/bad news is my security cameras have caught coyotes snooping around, and also just trotting through my yard lately. Unfortunately, I don't see any cotton tail rabbits anymore, but maybe the coyotes picked up the mice too?

Old January 28th, 2023, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Spoke too soon. Still finding acorns in the engine area, on the engine, on the battery tray, and on the radiator surround top.
Cleaned them off and placed a peanut butter bated mouse trap on the top and nearby was a mothball. Next morning, there was another eaten acorn in between the trap and the mothball.
Old January 29th, 2023, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Remove the glove box and inspect for a nest on top of the HVAC housing - that’s a very common place for critters to nest.
Old January 29th, 2023, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Set up several snap traps, some with cheese, some with peanut butter

Quick Reply: Mice in engine compartment. Where?