Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

New to repairs, break problem,

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2017, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to repairs, break problem,

Hi everyone. I am very new to caring for my truck for myself. My Dad has owned a 1994 Chevy 1500 4x4 and I acquired it from him. The truck is to the point it is not worth sending to a repair shop, and I'm interested in learning about the truck and making the repairs to it for myself.

It has a few problems, but at the forefront now is the brakes.

This is what happened: I park it on a relatively steep driveway, and as I put the key in the ignition, I put my foot on the pedal like normal. With my foot on the brake as normal, I turned the key and as the truck started, I simultaneously heard a pressure release and the brake pedal immediately went soft. I drove around the block and returned to the drive and it appears there has been a spray of what I assume is brake fluid.

But like I said, I'm new to diagnostics and repair, so all help, information and experience are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old June 7th, 2017, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

locate where the leak is....sounds like you burst a brake line. if so, you will have to replace the brake hose. if the entire line is rusted, replace the line front to back.
Old June 8th, 2017, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got the chance to take a look under the truck and the brake line that is compromised is totally rusted out from the flexible tube to about midway up the cab, so no wonder it blew out. As of right now, my dad would rather generously take it to a shop than to see me fail to fix it. This repair would be rather extensive given my current level of experience, though I am positive I can do it. It would just take a lot more time. So depending on the price to fix, I may or may not have to embark on this repair.
Old June 8th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

they may recommend replacing all the lines. a reasonable price would be 1.5 hours labour for the first line and 1 hour for each additional line replaced. So multiply the time by the door rate and then add brake fluid, line and fittings.

request the use of nickel/copper brake line....it is the most rust resistant product to work with but is more expensive than steel. pure copper lines cannot be used for brake work.