Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Odd Electrical/lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2016, 10:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Electrical/lighting problem

So I bought a beater 95 Silverado 1500 for a good price (Engine and Tranny looked and sounded good). Putting in the work now to get it presentable. One of the last problems I'm chasing down; both drivers side parking lights don't work. The socket in the tail light doesn't look too healthy, so I am replacing that assembly. Part is on order. But I am having a hard time seeing how that could be effecting the front drivers side marker. Both the passenger side ones work fine. I've replaced all the bulbs with the correct versions. That seems to have helped quite a few of the smaller lighting issues I was noticing.

I've discovered a few other oddities, fixing them as I go. Apparently the previous owners started putting single pole light bulbs in sockets that were double pole. When say, the turn single would go on, it would end up applying power back through the other circuit. I replaced the turn signal switch. When i pulled apart the main wiring harness, I noticed the pin going to the MFS for pink wire was labeled 'ignition', according to my haynes manual wiring diagram, was bent over and not making connection. I bypassed that as a new wiring harness cost more than the truck.

Anyone have any advice on driver side of the parking lights not working? And how about that 'ignition' pin? Anyone know what that does?
Old April 13th, 2016, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

That is a lot of views with no comments! Is there more useful information I can provide?
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:18 AM
CF Beginner

Once you've checked the socket that may fix the problem. Did you check all of your fuses? A short in an old truck can easily cause a blown fuse. Remember, you probably have multiple fuse boxes, and check the condition of the relays as well. I've seen cars that have been partially parted out and people will take the relays off because they're cheap and easy to remove.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Good call on the relays. I will check those next. Is there a particular one I should focus on for Parking Lights?
Old April 14th, 2016, 10:19 PM
CF Beginner

It was the socket. All is good now. Thanks for the input Jacob!