1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Output Shaft Lock ring reinstall.

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2020 | 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Output Shaft Lock ring reinstall.

How do i reassemble the output shaft lock ring after replacing the seal? It doesn't seem to want to go on with out being forced. Tried shrinking the ring with a torch but it still doesn't seem to want to allow the gear to slide back into place. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 6:58 PM
CF Veteran

Output shaft lock ring on what? The rear output shaft for the transmission or the transfer case is a slip yoke to the driveshaft. You shouldn’t have had to remove anything other than the driveshaft to replace the seal.

FYI heating anything with a torch will cause expansion. If you wanted it to shrink, put it in the freezer.

I think a more detailed description of what you’re referring to would help - a picture would be even better. Please also include the year, engine size, manual or auto trans, and if it’s 2 or 4 wheel drive.
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for lack of info on my part. 1989 K1500 5.7L 700r4. It is the front right output shaft that drives the cv axle. The seal was leaking badly so i pulled the housing, kept all small parts and springs in order, tapped the shaft at the cv axle attachment plate and the shaft came right out. Replaced the seal and now cannot get the gear back onto the shaft due to the lock ring. I hope that is a better and more clear description.
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 8:21 PM
CF Active Member

Take off lock ring. Then install the gear. Put the lock ring back on.
I'd advise using a new lock ring. They wear out (especially when being forced back and forth) and let the axle slide out, when that happens the shim in between the gears(the one that slides through the nipple on the axle )will drop and prevent your 4wd from engaging.
The following users liked this post:
KWMorris (April 22nd, 2020)
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Gear has to slide over the lock ring or the lock ring has to be installed in the gear before sliding onto the shaft once the shaft has been reinstalled in the housing. There is no clearance to get a lock ring in place once the gear is slid into place on the shaft.
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Getting a new lock ring in the morning and see if that works. Thanks for the assistance.
Old April 22nd, 2020 | 9:21 PM
CF Veteran

You mean #8?

Old April 22nd, 2020 | 9:28 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by KWMorris
Gear has to slide over the lock ring or the lock ring has to be installed in the gear before sliding onto the shaft once the shaft has been reinstalled in the housing. There is no clearance to get a lock ring in place once the gear is slid into place on the shaft.
Yes you're correct, I forgot the differences between the two ifs setups. Your clutch gear has to be driven on.
It does take some force, just be careful not to damage any splines.
Old April 23rd, 2020 | 8:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
You mean #8?

yes. Number 8. i just wanted to check if there was an easier way to get the gear back on over the ring before i went and screwed something up. And i used the torch and reformed the ring to fit in the slot better. Still getting new ring and housing gasket as soon as the parts place opens.
Old April 23rd, 2020 | 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

And thank you for the diagram.

Quick Reply: Output Shaft Lock ring reinstall.