Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Passenger door and bed issue

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2020, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger door and bed issue

97 k1500 3door. The doors on the passenger side close but sit like they are still open even after changed door pins. They can be seen in the first two pictures. The next two shows how my bed Sits higher and tucked in behind the cab on the passenger side and how it sits lower and sticks out on the driver. Any solutions to these issues ?

Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Did your get in a wreck at some point? Or was it severly overloaded, and taken off-road? Do you know how it happened?
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:17 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes looks like a bent frame to me also.
The following users liked this post:
Ryan Holland (June 7th, 2020)
Old May 23rd, 2020, 2:49 PM
CF Active Member

I also am having trouble seeing the problems with your doors. In the pictures they seem to be closing all of the way. Also, do you know if the doors are latching all of the way? If you close the door slowly you should hear two individual clicks. How I suggest doing this is hold the door almost closed, then let go of it, the spring loaded roller thing in the door jamb (you proably saw it when you replaced the pins) should close the door part way, when it "hits" you should hear one click. The second click tells you the door is fully latched, to hear this, now that you have the door almost closed, throw your weight into it, the door should move in, you will hear another click, and the door is fully latched. If you don't here both clicks, your door is not fully latched. In my experience this is because the latch no longer lines up with the striker in the door jam. I figure the door is not sagging because you just replaced the pins, so that leaves me to believe that if your door dose not click twice, something is bent, damaged or just wore out.

That was long but i would say i have more than my fare share of experience with these doors. In my family, one was used as a lawn care truck, and a daily driver. This equated to the drives door being opened approximately 563 million times a day, so it is worn out and I have had to work on it many times.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
Did your get in a wreck at some point? Or was it severly overloaded, and taken off-road? Do you know how it happened?
never wrecked it. No clue how man
Old May 23rd, 2020, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Mr. Dude with a face
I also am having trouble seeing the problems with your doors. In the pictures they seem to be closing all of the way. Also, do you know if the doors are latching all of the way? If you close the door slowly you should hear two individual clicks. How I suggest doing this is hold the door almost closed, then let go of it, the spring loaded roller thing in the door jamb (you proably saw it when you replaced the pins) should close the door part way, when it "hits" you should hear one click. The second click tells you the door is fully latched, to hear this, now that you have the door almost closed, throw your weight into it, the door should move in, you will hear another click, and the door is fully latched. If you don't here both clicks, your door is not fully latched. In my experience this is because the latch no longer lines up with the striker in the door jam. I figure the door is not sagging because you just replaced the pins, so that leaves me to believe that if your door dose not click twice, something is bent, damaged or just wore out.

That was long but i would say i have more than my fare share of experience with these doors. In my family, one was used as a lawn care truck, and a daily driver. This equated to the drives door being opened approximately 563 million times a day, so it is worn out and I have had to work on it many times.
that what it looks like fully latched. I have to slam it to get it like that
Old May 24th, 2020, 4:29 PM
CF Active Member

So you say you have to slam it? I wonder if your hinges are bent, or the door itself? I am no body man, but whatever you got going on in weird, that's for sure!
Old December 7th, 2020, 10:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Magic Door Alignment Tool!

Old December 7th, 2020, 11:57 PM
CF Active Member

That looks like a good way too make a lot happen really fast...
The following users liked this post:
Mark Gardiner (December 8th, 2020)
Old December 8th, 2020, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

That's for sure Bro! I was stressing over this for a couple days and then Fredy at Fredy's Auto Body in Stafford VA fixed it in less that 90 seconds!😄 My door was WAY off after an accident. The latch was missing the striker by an inch! 😄😊😊😊