Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Popped cig lighter fuse, now nothing works

Old March 8th, 2017, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped cig lighter fuse, now nothing works

heya-

so, I recently bought a 94 K2500 extended cab pickup. Possibly the most neglected vehicle I have ever owned.

yesterday I decided to start fixing things. New wiper control board, new brake light switch, new LED lights in the stock tail light housing (assuming that is going to cause issues with the flasher), new hoses, filters and TBI rebuild. After everything was done and tested, I put in a new 12V socket because a previous owner was a smoker and I was tire of wiggling my charger around to find the sweet spot. Had to customize the wires because of the aftermarket barrel is too long.

after I made it look pretty, I plugged in my charger. Heard an audible pop and assumed I blew a fuse. No big deal, would fix after work today.

fast forward to 0400 today and I have no running lights, radio, brake lights, transmission won't shift out of 1st, and I have no dash lights. And no blown fuses under the dash.

it is going to be dark before I get back to the yard and won't be able to see to troubleshoot and I am hoping someone has some experience with this? Maybe?

thanks in advance. And if it matters, it has a 7.4 with a 4L80e (I assume)

sean
Old March 9th, 2017, 7:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

I would look at the wires you customized and all the wires you worked on. It is no coincidence that the problem started after this work was done.
Old March 9th, 2017, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe a fusible link somewhere?
Old March 10th, 2017, 3:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Maybe a fusible link somewhere?
That would be my guess.
Old April 21st, 2017, 3:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the lighter even have a fuse? Pretty high current. You might need a test light or VOM to check the line side of the fuses. If any have no line side voltage to ground, you need to work backwards to find where you're losing voltage. I agree with the fusible link theory, but be sure you found the problem before you power things up again or you might fry something expensive. A wiring diagram will be a big help if you need to go through the wiring. If you're not comfortable with schematics, get some help.

Search this Thread