Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Power Steering Box Threads

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2016, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Box Threads

Hello! This is my first thread.
I'll get straight to the point, my truck was leaking power steering fluid through the gearbox, so I replaced the gearbox altogether. After installing it with no problem, I plugged in the lines and one of them cross-threaded, resulting in me needing a new pressure line. I don't think the threads on the box are destroyed, but it is possible. So let's just assume it is, in that event, is it possible for me to tap/dye the inside of the power steering. I would likely need a pipe threader, which is fine, but my concern is whether or not I could get a pipe bolt to fit on the power steering box. Any other suggestions are also welcome, I'm a bit stumped and I don't want to buy a new steering box again, but I'm afraid that may be what it has to come to.
Old April 14th, 2016, 11:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I would go to the hardware store and get a brass fitting that matches the threads on your pressure line. Carefully try to get it threaded in straight and regroove the threads. Brass being softer than steel it won't further damage the threads.
Old April 14th, 2016, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by burnhedge
I think I would go to the hardware store and get a brass fitting that matches the threads on your pressure line. Carefully try to get it threaded in straight and regroove the threads. Brass being softer than steel it won't further damage the threads.

Will do! I'll give it a try. Is there anybody who knows the thread pitch that it's set at?
Old April 15th, 2016, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default Update

Got the hose in with absolutely no leaks. I used a spark plug tap, believe it or not, and gently used it to rethread the steering box hose thread. Worked perfect. Steers like a champ now.