Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Replaced Spark Plugs, now runs worse.

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2018, 7:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Spark Plugs, now runs worse.

Greetings!

I recently bought a 98/99 k1500- Vortec 5.7 that didn't run. I was able to get it up and going. The wire from the crank sensor to the fuel ground (purple) had melted through on the manifold.

The truck had been running fairly well for a couple weeks, but was bogging under load (hauling gravel/ mulch) and seemed to have a mild sputter to it at times while idling, so I decided to replace the spark plugs. They looked fairly worn.

The plugs in the truck were denso's and were gapped at .045 - I replaced them with AutoLite Double Platinums gapped at .060 and I seem to be running worse now. I idle fine with a few hiccups, but once I'm in gear and give it gas it sputters around real bad. I'm not getting any misfire codes yet, but I do have a crank sensor relearn, and ckp variance code. Those codes existed with the last plugs installed too. I hadn't made it into the dealership for the re-learn yet.

I double checked and snugged all my spark plug boots to ensure I'm hooked up properly, and I also switched out one plug at a time to ensure my wires wouldn't get switched up.

Should I gap my platinums at .045?

Maybe I broke/fractured a spark plug wire/boot? (nothing seemed brittle)

Maybe crank sensor relearn issue is more pronounced with correctly gapped plugs?

Any advice for me?

Thank you!

Last edited by Spencer Kearton; April 16th, 2018 at 2:08 PM.
Old April 17th, 2018, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Adding dielectric grease to my plug boots seems to have resolved this issue.
Old April 17th, 2018, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

How old are the wires?
Dielectric grease is non conductive so if that fixed your trouble I would suspect the wires are bad.
Old April 17th, 2018, 8:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I'd suggest you may have a vacuum leak
Old April 18th, 2018, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a1cnc
How old are the wires?
Dielectric grease is non conductive so if that fixed your trouble I would suspect the wires are bad.
Good point, I forgot that dielectric is non-conductive and wouldn't improve my scenario.

Maybe I wiggled a wire back into connectivity during this change. I ran about 40 miles yesterday, and seemed to do fine. I'm not certain how old the wires are. I've had the truck a month or so. The guy I bought from said distributor and wires were new, but I can't be sure of it. They don't feel brittle, but I could've damaged something while removing boots from the plugs too.

Thank you.
Old April 18th, 2018, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

"I'd suggest you may have a vacuum leak"

I noticed a slight gap at the air intake. I put some RTV sealant in the gap (it looked like it had been sealed up with RTV at some point prior). I seem to be in good shape now. Thank you for your response.

Last edited by Spencer Kearton; April 18th, 2018 at 7:47 AM. Reason: Forgot to Quote.