Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Rough idle unless area sprayed with carb cleaner

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle unless area sprayed with carb cleaner

Friend has an 88 5.7L
The truck ran great with no symptoms, then I go to use it after he had used it in the morning about four hours earlier, and it died when going in reverse.

Put it in park, restarted. Needs some extra fuel assistance to start, then it will idle but not at a steady rpm. The rpm will raise and lower. I was thinking bad fuel filter was causing the issue. Old one had brown fuel coming out of it, so I am sure it was a good investment anyway.

After checking several things, and noticing a regular mist of fuel (was looking for signs of a bad fuel pump) I was checking for vacuum leaks with a can of carb and choke cleaner. When cleaning the area where the gasket is for the fuel pressure regulator, it started idling normal. After I stopped spraying, it returned to what it was doing. Is it time for a rebuild kit for that part? Does it come with all the gaskets needed since it's inside the one housing?

My friend said the truck did a similar thing a year ago and they "did something with that thing." I am guessing the regulator or something in that area was serviced.

(I was spraying toward the rear area where there are the 3 torx screws, toward the driver side hitting the orange gasekt.)
Old June 29th, 2017, 3:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kind of disappointing that there were no responses, but in case anyone else has the same issue:

Did a rebuild on the fuel pressure regulator which turned up no results. Moved the bed of the truck back to access the fuel pump. The rubber hose that connects the fuel pump to the assembly was very soft and had a hole in it. Probably could have gotten away with not replacing the pump and just replacing the hose, but since we were at that point anyway, replaced the pump. Truck is running good again.