Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

so I just bought a chevy K3500 cheyanne

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2019, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so I just bought a chevy K3500 cheyanne

So I just bought this k3500 crew cab with a 5.7L in it. Guy said he replaced head gaskets and a head and they tried to fire it up but it just turns over but won't start. He also said it had a broken piece on the injector spiders thing but they fixed it and it still wouldn't start. So I figured he put in the distributor in wrong timing and figured i'd get it for a steel. Got it for 800 including the steel rusted ladder rack. Any ways. Pulled upper intake. off and there was tons of build up all over spider injection unit. some up to 3/16" deep in spots. Pulled spider injectors and all but one came out whole. One the tube pulled right out of the clip. so gotta replace that thing with MPFI unit. Then pulled lower intake off...... except for maybe 6 push rods all the other ones were bend and some in an S shape. pwwwwwwww.... so I pulled heads to check for damage... no damage that I can see.... just bent push rods.. think his "mechanic" tightened down to much on rocker arms. Then I look at heads...... I have a 906 head and a 062 head. Now I know the 906 was for the HD 1 ton trucks like mine but will these two make that much of a difference if I use them. I figure they didn't care since they used it as a work truck. but I am building an all around use truck, farm life, work, travel, ect.... I have found a set of 906 heads from a yukon with heart shaped bowl so I know they are the right vortec heads.... What else would I need to look for.. I pulled a few lifters and they seemed fine but I didn't pull them all yet. and I still have to check out cam shaft for damage.... any thing else you guys can recommend to look for??
Thanks
Old April 4th, 2019, 4:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdaddygb
So I just bought this k3500 crew cab with a 5.7L in it. Guy said he replaced head gaskets and a head and they tried to fire it up but it just turns over but won't start. He also said it had a broken piece on the injector spiders thing but they fixed it and it still wouldn't start. So I figured he put in the distributor in wrong timing and figured i'd get it for a steel. Got it for 800 including the steel rusted ladder rack. Any ways. Pulled upper intake. off and there was tons of build up all over spider injection unit. some up to 3/16" deep in spots. Pulled spider injectors and all but one came out whole. One the tube pulled right out of the clip. so gotta replace that thing with MPFI unit. Then pulled lower intake off...... except for maybe 6 push rods all the other ones were bend and some in an S shape. pwwwwwwww.... so I pulled heads to check for damage... no damage that I can see.... just bent push rods.. think his "mechanic" tightened down to much on rocker arms. Then I look at heads...... I have a 906 head and a 062 head. Now I know the 906 was for the HD 1 ton trucks like mine but will these two make that much of a difference if I use them. I figure they didn't care since they used it as a work truck. but I am building an all around use truck, farm life, work, travel, ect.... I have found a set of 906 heads from a yukon with heart shaped bowl so I know they are the right vortec heads.... What else would I need to look for.. I pulled a few lifters and they seemed fine but I didn't pull them all yet. and I still have to check out cam shaft for damage.... any thing else you guys can recommend to look for??
Thanks

Sound like this 3500 was rode hard and put away wet but for 800 bucks might be OK. Check the timing chain. I doubt it was serviced as it should have been. Probably sludge build up. Gonna have to pull the intake manifold and have it cleaned/soaked. Bent valves are not a good sign of any "mechanic" at all and they got bent for a reason. Chevy valves are easy to set properly. New lifters for sure, ( they might look fine, but damaged internally) and likely camshaft, Injectors likely need cleaning or changing too. Probably used the cheapest gas and motor oil; they could get too.
Old April 4th, 2019, 6:02 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah talked to wife about it she said just rebuild the whole engine. I was like well ok then... so I'll be rebuilding the whole thing. Thanks for info.
Old April 7th, 2019, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

so pulled the whole motor apart and found 3 pistons seized in the piston pin area. I got it all apart and will be taking it to the machine shop soon.