Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

97 1500 Cheyenne Crank No Start

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2019, 6:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 1500 Cheyenne Crank No Start

I am a newbie to Chevrolet. I was a Subaru guy but acquired a chevy truck so here I am. Ive got a 97 Cheyenne 1500 4x4 that has a crank no start issue. I need help from step 1.
Old February 11th, 2019, 7:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You need to determine is it because of an electrical or fuel problem. Is the check engine light on? If so get the codes read and it will lead you in the right direction. You can also spray some starter fluid into the throttle body, and if it runs for a few seconds then you have a fuel problem.
Old March 5th, 2019, 8:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Spark Check
Fuel Pressure check
if it passes both of those
crankshaft and camshaft position sensors
The first thing I would do, crawl under the truck and replace the fuel filter. It may not solve your problem but I have seen them shut down engines, 100's of times.
Then I would suspect a crankshaft position sensor.
Old March 6th, 2019, 8:20 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

also you might want to clean your grounds while you poking around
Old March 16th, 2019, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Terminal Frost
Spark Check
Fuel Pressure check
if it passes both of those
crankshaft and camshaft position sensors
The first thing I would do, crawl under the truck and replace the fuel filter. It may not solve your problem but I have seen them shut down engines, 100's of times.
Then I would suspect a crankshaft position sensor.
How do you check crankshaft position sensor
Old March 16th, 2019, 5:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You would/should have a code if that is the issue.
Old March 17th, 2019, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Not trying to hijack this thread, but I have a similar issue on my 98 C1500 with the Vortec 5.0. I've changed the fuel pump, it was completely dead, installed a brand new battery and new fuel filter. Since I was working on it I also went ahead and did the plugs, wires, distributor, and coil at the same time too. I've also recently upgraded the injectors to MPFI after I had fuel delivery issues. Before the pump gave out it would run and drive fine. After I've changed the pump, twice now, it will not fire up. I've double checked spark to all cylinders and it is present and the pressure was 58psi and stable. There are also no codes present so right now I'm at a loss of what else to look for. I searched real quick, but couldn't find the info on a test for the crank or cam sensor. Anyone know of a way besides just changing it out?
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:26 PM
I'm here for the party

one this somewhat know to cause a no start issue is the VATS system. im not too familiar with it but know it can be an issue so im not going to even act like i know how to test for it
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:27 PM
I'm here for the party

How a GM vats system works and how to find or measure your vats code
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Well, for me, it wasn't the CPS either, just finished changing that and the pigtail just in case the wiring was broken. It acts like it wants to start, but it just doesn't. VATS is not an issue for me and the security light goes away so I don't think it has anything to do with that. Still no codes stored in the computer so I'm flying blind. Only thing I can think of is that I've either gotten two bad fuel pumps in a row or there is a blockage in the fuel line after the filter as, from what information I've found, 60-66 psi is what I should be getting at the port above the intake manifold. Perhaps its just time for me to take it to a shop .