Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Soft brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2019, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft brake pedal

My truck is a 98 gmc 1500 5.7. I got the truck at 160k miles and it now has 200k. The brakes have always seemed o.k. to me but have always been a little squishy. My dad (the first original owner)(im the 2nd owner) swears the brakes were alot stiffer when he first bought the truck. He thinks its a saftey hazard and told me hed pay to have the brakes looked over and replace anything that needed it. I took it in to my trusted mechanic shop and they replaced rotors,calipers, and pads. With new rubber hose lines. And obviously blead the brakes. However it was obvious they did not bleed the ABS. I replaced the master cylinder about a year ago. They said it and the booster did not need to be replaced. The brake pedal is slighlty stiffer but still have some squish to them. They told me thats just the way chevy trucks are.
Ive been reading everywhere online trying to figure out whats causing the squishy feel. Answers are all over the place. I see alot of talk about ABS. how they need to bleed. some guys say you need a special scanner to bleed the ABS. some say you dont. Some guys delete the abs and the fixes their problem. some guys put in hydrobooster and steel break lines. i see some guys saying theyve worked at chevy dealerships for 20 years and thats just the way chevy trucks are. (like my mechanic told me) ive seen guys saying you need to slam on your brakes on a dirt road a few times.
I really dont know where to start. Im a little irretated that we spent 800$ to get the brakes fixed and the pedal seems pretty much as squishy as before. Any advice or personal experiences with these trucks would be helpful.
Old May 16th, 2019, 1:51 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i know on the newer models 2000+ you can slam on the brakes on wet grass or a dirt road to activate the abs pump then rebleed the brakes. i would assume it could work for you model but cant say "ive done it and it works". but i guess it wouldnt hurt anything