Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

someone please help

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2019, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry someone please help

i have a 95 silverado k1500 5.7 auto 4x4 . i have a couple of issues going on

first of all i have a 4l60e transmission noticed it was starting to slip, or so i thought and by that i mean that you can get in it fire it up and put it in gear and it feels like there is nothing, turn the truck off wait 5 minutes or less start it back up and drive like there was never an issue.
Not sure what that is about. I have replaced the filter and still have same issues. I was given the suggestion that it might be bad wiring so i unhooked everything, inspected all the wires, patched a few spots and we taped and waterproofed all wires as well as new die electric grease on all connections.
any suggestions

Second- i just noticed that i am leaking anti freeze after i replaced thermostat, waterpump, radiator, and hoses. I am not sure where it is coming from. It appears to be coming from back of block somewhere as to the fact that it is dripping down by starter and pouring on to exaust. thought it might be a soft plug but i drove it and once it hit operating temperature leak stopped. so there fore i am confused as to where it is leaking from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old May 30th, 2019, 7:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, not fun to have an intermittent problem.

I think it'd help if you provided a bit more description. Its kinda hard to say much on a "it doesn't work, wait, and then it does" sort of description.

For example,
- When it doesn't work, does the vehicle move at all when you rev it? or does it act like it's still in park? do you hear anything from drive train when you put it in gear, like the drive shaft putting some pressure on diff? etc?
- When it is working, what happens when you turn it off and restart? Same "wait 5 min thing"? Is it only on cold start, first thing in morning or anytime?
If vehicle runs fine, shift fine with no indication of slipping or problems when it is working - I'd be wondering if when it doesn't work the PCM is actually telling the transmission to shift into gear.

I have a 93 with a 4L60E. It has a switch inside the pan which tells the PCM what gear is selected. Mine went bad and as I drove a gear would stop working as fluid leaked into the one of the cracked membrane switches. I'm not sure how it could cause the problem you describe, however.

One the coolant leak. It seems pretty unlikely that some other thing on block spontaneously sprung a leak at same time you were replacing a bunch of things in coolant system. It's most likely one of the things you replaced is leaking. It's sometimes hard to tell what's leaking if you look after driving as the fan, road air blows the leaking coolant everywhere. I suggest letting it sit overnight, cool down & stop leaking. Start it up in AM and let it idle until up to temp & pressure and then look.

Good luck
Old June 8th, 2019, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i belive i found the issue to my coolant leak, bad intake manifold gasket.
as far as the transmission goes i just pulled and i am rebuilding it, so with that being said do i need to flush the torque converter and t-case and if so how do i do it ?
Old June 9th, 2019, 8:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice you found the coolant leak.
I don’t have experience on rebuilding transmission. I’ve only dropped the pan and messed with the valve body. However, there are people here who do. Hopefully one of them will be able to answer your question on that. Good luck with the rebuild.