Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Starter issues?

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2019, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter issues?

Hello, I received good help from you all before, so I figured I'd ask again.

1995 Chevy k1500 5.7l

The past few months the engine has been turning over very slowly in the morning. It's winter in Montana, so that's probably part of it...

The cold start is the best start of the day though. If I try and start it within 4 hours of running the engine I get a quick grinding sound from the truck, and it misses a turn kinda. From what I've been seeing on the internet, there could be some worn teeth on the flywheel or the starter is worn down or both? Has anyone had similar issues? I think I will replace the starter anyway, but I don't want to waste money if anyone has found a different solution. Thanks!
Old January 6th, 2019, 1:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

How old is your battery and your starter? Quick grind" sounds like solenoid is not getting starter gear into flywheel quick enough.
Old January 6th, 2019, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

I would assume both are fairly old. I've put about 4k miles on it since buying it this past July, and the truck looked like it was used heavily by the previous owner. Do you think replacing the battery would be better to start with?
Old January 6th, 2019, 3:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Easy to have it tested 1st; should find an age sticker on the battery as well
Old January 6th, 2019, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

The battery looks like it's only two years old, but I'm getting 11.6 volts. That doesn't sound good to me... Will probably take it to AutoZone tomorrow to have it tested.
Old January 6th, 2019, 7:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy Chapman
The battery looks like it's only two years old, but I'm getting 11.6 volts. That doesn't sound good to me... Will probably take it to AutoZone tomorrow to have it tested.
11.6 volts is too low. A fully charged battery at rest (engine not running) should have 12.6 volts (2.1 volts per cell x 6). Anything less than 12 volts may have insufficient cranking amps. At idle it should have about 14.2-14.4 volts. Good idea to have the battery tested. They should test the charging system (alternator) as well.