Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Suggestions / Several issues 1997

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2020, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions / Several issues 1997

Hi guys,

I have a 1997 Chevy pickup that I need some guidance on in several issues. Its been a great truck, but wasnt mechanically taken care of from the person I bought it from and since I dont drive it much, I havent been as good to it as I should have been either. About 200k miles
​​​​​​

Issue #1 Brakes: The brakes are horrible, Spongy/mushy and if I had to stop stop, I wouldnt be able to. I actually took the truck to 2 different mechanics. It has all new brake parts, but both mechanics told me this is pretty common for trucks in this year and they dont get much better than this. Is this true? I cant imagine that if everything was correct, this truck should be able to stop on a dime if needed?

Issue #2 Steering: The steering wheel needs to be about 1/4 turn to the right to go down the road somewhat straight. If/when I need to make a steering correction, things get interesting. It wonders all over the road and isnt easy to control. More looking for a complete list of what I should/need to change to get the steering nice and tight and parts that might need to be swapped prior to an allignment.

Issue #3 Headlights: Dont even bother trying to drive this pickup at night. The lights are so dull I cant see the road. I would like to order a FULL SET of headlights (not just the bulbs) to replace the old ones. My fear here is ordering cheap Chinese crap. I dont need to go crazy and start a forest fire with the power of my headlights, but would like some nice bright and good quality lights.

I purchased a few ATV's and would like to use this pickup to pull them and the trailer and have a little more confidence in its abilities and mechanical situation.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for all the help and advice.