Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Towing Capacity

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2020, 6:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Capacity

Hey, everyone!

I have a 1997 K1500 Z71 and need to know the max towing capacity. The GVWR is 6,200 lbs. We recently bought a camper and the dry weight is 7,059 lbs. I'm not really sure what the curb weight of the truck is. Not sure if we should upgrade to a 2500 or will our 1500 pull it safely. Help!
Old November 15th, 2020, 5:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry man, but I have got to say he11 no on towing that trailer with that truck. First though, I do have to say, GVWR is not the best figure to go off of when calculating the tow rating. If you can find it you want the GCWR. GVWR stands for Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, the basic synopsis of that is the maximum weight of the truck and passengers and cargo in the truck, it does not include trailers. GCWR is different, it stands for Gross Combined Weight Rating, it is the total amount of weigh your vehicle can legally move down the road, and also not damage the vehicle. If you can find that number on the vehicle (might be on the door sticker, I can not recall) you can then subtract the weigh to the truck, that will give you YOUR tow rating. Now, in my opinion that is not strictly necessary, what usually works just fine is to search up your tow rating. I use this web site (Trailers.com) to search vehicles. Put in your year make model, and then look at the options listed on the page, find your engine and their should be your tow rating. Unfortunately for you, any way you slice it, your truck should not tow that trailer. Even if you had the 6.5l Diesel (a very rare option if I remember correctly) you could only tow 7000 lbs. That is not accounting for the weight of you as the driver, passengers, modifications to the truck, or anything in the trailer. You would already be maxed out. So, in short, No, don't try and pull that trailer with that truck, unless you #1 have the diesel and #2 will carry nothing with you but the dry trailer and yourself. Either get a bigger truck, or get rid of the trailer. If you do really like the GMT400 trucks though, I searched it up and a 2500, even with a 350, could probably tow that trailer.