Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Trouble threading flare nut on left fuel line going to spider

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2019, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble threading flare nut on left fuel line going to spider

Hey all, I recently upgrade my pickup to a MPFI style spider injector assembly (1998 Chevy K1500). I'm having a couple issues putting it back together after the install though. First, I had trouble getting the flare nut threaded into the left-side fuel line. It kept popping out when tightened. I threw a couple wrenches, haha. Eventually, after unbolting the fuel line and lubing with some oil, and then some lithium grease, I managed to get it threaded and tightened, but it didn't seem to go in as for as the right-side nut. It was tight, though, so I thought I was done.

I got everything assembled, and popped the fuel relay fuse back in, and attempted to start. Fuel sprayed out everywhere. Damnit... I'm not sure what I should do about it. It might be cross threaded or stripped now. I'm in a pinch and not sure what to do. The other issue is the spider harness; the assembly is not sticking out far enough for the connector to clip. It's very close. When I attempted to connect, I pushed it down further. Any tips on how to pull it out so I can get the clip to latch?
Old November 25th, 2019, 7:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by narojo
Hey all, I recently upgrade my pickup to a MPFI style spider injector assembly (1998 Chevy K1500). I'm having a couple issues putting it back together after the install though. First, I had trouble getting the flare nut threaded into the left-side fuel line. It kept popping out when tightened. I threw a couple wrenches, haha. Eventually, after unbolting the fuel line and lubing with some oil, and then some lithium grease, I managed to get it threaded and tightened, but it didn't seem to go in as for as the right-side nut. It was tight, though, so I thought I was done.

I got everything assembled, and popped the fuel relay fuse back in, and attempted to start. Fuel sprayed out everywhere. Damnit... I'm not sure what I should do about it. It might be cross threaded or stripped now. I'm in a pinch and not sure what to do. The other issue is the spider harness; the assembly is not sticking out far enough for the connector to clip. It's very close. When I attempted to connect, I pushed it down further. Any tips on how to pull it out so I can get the clip to latch?
Sounds like a job for Super......errr....I mean JB weld-black epoxy. If that doesn't seal the threads in under pressure nothing will. Just have to clean the area up good, and let it set-up really good before use, preferably in a warm place if possible. As to the connector clip, I believe there is a tool made for that, but cant recall where I saw it.