Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Turn or Hazard bulbs blinking when shouldnt.

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2018, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn or Hazard bulbs blinking when shouldnt.

Had a small wreck, dead center grille. Installed new radiator frame, radiator, grille, bumper. Repaired damaged wire across front to right signals and headlight. Starter worked to get it home from wreck but now it doesnt. But the mystery is--- When any electric activity happens, IE, open and close door (Courtesy light), or turn on ignition, all four turn signals start blinking, and they blink for 30 to 40 times and then stop. When the ignition is on they will blink the 30 or so times and pause, then start blinking again. I have removed every fuse one at a time and checked, they still do it. I have removed both flashers one at a time and it still does it with the flashers removed. The blinking sound is coming from behind the glove box, not the area where the flashers are. The only thing that stops this is unhooking battery. I have checked the grounds they seem good. The headlights work and the turn signals also. Dont know whether to start in the steering column or what but I must have a short to some kind of relay.
Old June 15th, 2018, 2:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Found the Problem

Originally Posted by UncleDon1234
Had a small wreck, dead center grille. Installed new radiator frame, radiator, grille, bumper. Repaired damaged wire across front to right signals and headlight. Starter worked to get it home from wreck but now it doesnt. But the mystery is--- When any electric activity happens, IE, open and close door (Courtesy light), or turn on ignition, all four turn signals start blinking, and they blink for 30 to 40 times and then stop. When the ignition is on they will blink the 30 or so times and pause, then start blinking again. I have removed every fuse one at a time and checked, they still do it. I have removed both flashers one at a time and it still does it with the flashers removed. The blinking sound is coming from behind the glove box, not the area where the flashers are. The only thing that stops this is unhooking battery. I have checked the grounds they seem good. The headlights work and the turn signals also. Dont know whether to start in the steering column or what but I must have a short to some kind of relay.
Found the Problem- The clicking behind the glove box was a theft alarm, with glass break detector. It was wired to shut off starter, blink lights, sound a horn.(horn was unplugged already) Did not know it was there. Somehow activated when I did the body work. Unplugged its in-line fuse and everything works normally again.